Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
fort rock

rode really well today. perfect day really. i rode from newmarket via some singletrack, road and the rail road bed into the newfields stuff and rode all trails to and through the tunnel to the southern most trails and back to newmarket via trails and was pleasantly surprised at how dry things were. got a good 2.5 hours in. i may be heading back out a bit later on some of the new bay road stuff between newmarket and durham. if i do end up at fort rock again, you'll surely hear my VERY creaky indy ti 29er rigid. it's due for it's yearly pull apart and never seize copper to all areas where ti and non-ti meet.

rog

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea if anyone wants to meet at over there this evening and ride for a while, im interested. Hopefully it stays dry today. It was finally semi dry over there last night and it was awesome. Hopefully we could get a good group riding tonight.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
kbreen30 said:
yea if anyone wants to meet at over there this evening and ride for a while, im interested. Hopefully it stays dry today. It was finally semi dry over there last night and it was awesome. Hopefully we could get a good group riding tonight.
what time and where? the trails to the north of 101 are much drier than to the south. dusty yesterday. was gonna ride this morning, but woke up to rain. i'm headed into town to tear my bike apart to give it it's yearly anti-creaking service and will be back mid afternoon. skies are brightening as i write.

rog

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
dumping buckets!!!!!

hope you got yer stuff together quickly. i got to the shop to tear the front end of my bike apart b4 noontime and man did it dump rain harder than i've seen it rain in a long time! no ride for me today. i will do my commute to work tomorrow and wait for the friday sun to ride in the woods b4 another potentially wet weekend. glad i didn't buy that full sussy this year. i would have destroyed it in the wet by now. at least i got rid of my creaky front end. discovered that after 4 years of service that my chris king headset was destroyed. i never really liked that headset. put in a 20 dollar cane creek s-1 cartridge cheapy and not only was it much more pleasant to install than the CK, it'll probably work better. hopefully king will send me a replacement as they have a 10 year warranty and i'll sell it off cheap to some sucka that's addicted to the CK coolaid.

rog

·
Registered
305 Posts
Another CK hater...:ciappa: Not much for rain on the Cape:D

edit: ah, thats what I get for giving an old friend sheet - dry all day, we were missing everything, I make that comment, THEN BOOM & a light shower...now, I better go check all my CK headsets they probably blew up too!

Sorry Rog I was just kidd'n stop sending those vibes down here to my smartars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea no ride for me tonight i dont think. Its pouring right now. Maybe tomorrow night will work out. Glad i went riding last night. It was great. Hopefully we can try and get something going tomorrow night

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Wiz said:
Anothor CK hater...:ciappa: Not much for rain on the Cape:D
it's always nicer on the cape. i left here last tuesday morning in the rain, got onto the cape and it was 80 degrees, sunny, no clouds and craddock and i had our way with tot/sandwich in the afternoon. it is just puking rain here right now. i'm not racing this year. too wet for my taste. CK hater is right. for as long as i've been running bike shops and wrenching, some crap that everyone loves over better less expensive stuff never ceases to amaze me. i tried it, i'm done. i should've changed that headset out after the 1st year. maybe kings work for folks that run forks that go up and down up front. for us fully rigid riders that fully appreciate the "knees and elbows" perfect suspension technology, maybe we need a more burly headset like the one that i installed today. can't wait to try it at full speed through root infested boulder fields around here.

rog

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
kbreen30 said:
yea no ride for me tonight i dont think. Its pouring right now. Maybe tomorrow night will work out. Glad i went riding last night. It was great. Hopefully we can try and get something going tomorrow night
i'll most likely ride to work in portsmouth. i get out at 5pm and will be back around 6. if it's nice i could ride from work to fort rock, ride, then ride home to newmarket. i'll check messages tomorrow from work. it'll take me at least an hour to ride from the shop to fort rock. meeting off of deer trees in newfields would work much better for me and the trails do better after rain than south of 101.

rog

·
think
853 Posts
Yea I got my act together fairly quickly. Got down there and buzzed around for an hour or so, was back to the truck by about 2pm. It sprinkled on me for about 5 minutes and then held off. The trails are wet but not horrible although rain will not help tomorrow. If it didn't rain tomorrow they would probably be about right for Friday but as is we will see. Had to show some care today as well as hiking a section or two to avoid rutting things up (although the mud showed others just blasted through, not sure why I waste my own time.) I might be up for giving it a try on the north side tomorrow around six. Post up or shoot me a message.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
ya, that south side is just so much more wet than anything north of 101. i always ride in from newmarket so i only ride down to and through the south side like 1 out of 10 rides, mostly cuz it's often wet and or i'm riding with folks that don't want to do the extra distance.

good that you got out cuz while you got sprinkled on for 5 minutes it rained and inch plus in portsmouth. it's supposed to rain like another inch tonight through tomorrow night so if anything i'll do a rainy commute to work and maybe a newfields side of fort rock in the evening if it doesn't rain (much). i really wanna push this new headset to the test so i'm itchin to pound my vicious fork through some crap.

rog

·
think
853 Posts
Tomorrow is looking promising. Have to build an exhaust in the morning (on my vacataion, always nice) but will be looking to ride late afternoon/evening, maybe even heading down to HP.

·
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
26 Posts
Discovered Fort Rock online...

My girlfriend and I were staying in Portsmouth, NH for the weekend of July 4th. Before we left I Googled the area for recommended trails (any excuse to bring the bikes). A few spots came up, even a bike park. However Fort Rock was the closest to our location.
We drove up from New York on Friday, checked in to our hotel and rode Saturday and Sunday mornings. The weather was perfect - sunny....trails were a bit muddy due to the bits of rain here and there. Never the less we were exciting to ride a new trail some where far away. I have to admit the trail did not disappoint. We found it a bit hard to follow at times and unfortunately two days at only two hours per day, just wasn't enough time to find everything. Maybe next time explore some more....
This is a great set of trails and I highly recommend taking the trip. :thumbsup: From wood bridges to log jams to rock gardens to climbs to a bit of downhill! This place covers the abilities of all skill levels. :thumbsup: I couldn't imagine riding that place at night!?! That would blow my mind. You have to post video of your night rides!

·
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
26 Posts

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Just post here a day or so before any ride you plan, and you are likely to get volunteer guides who would be more than happy to give you a full Fort Rock tour.

I'm very glad I had a guide the first time I rode there. It took me several more rides to finally know my way around.

-Pete

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah search around the forums and you'll see that creaky King headsets are well documented. Cane Creek holds the patent on the best way to secure the steerer tube in the upper head bearing. Everyone else has had to come up with a workaround. King uses an o-ring and once this o-ring wears the creak starts. They are very nice about sending out new o-rings if you give them a call though. I'm not hating on the King; my headset has been in service for almost ten years with a little love to the bearings and periodic o-ring replacement. And I'd love a set of hubs if I could afford them. But I'll never spend money on another King headset when I can pick my pricepoint (and weight) among the Cane Creek offterings and get a superior design.

Fort Rock? Last Sunday night was great out there. Hope to get out again tomorrow night.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts