Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
singletrack bound
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what is happening out of Eighth and Giggling and surrounding trails? I know there was some burning going on last week or so and was wondering if anybody has been out riding that area. With the amount of rain we have had in the S.C. area it is looking like a trip to the fort is in my future soon! Any info would be much appreciated.
:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I seem to recall a thread here on that area that made a lot more sense if one was looking at a map.

What I recall was that the burn was in preparation for looking for unexploded ordnance. I think you can still get through the area on some marked corridors. You might check with MORCA.

What with the rain, Fort Ord sounds like a fun place to ride.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
jorgemonkey said:
I think with un exploded ordinance on the trail makes riding ft order REALLY fun :)
Wish I had a photo of me and a buddy at the time, oh about 30 years ago. Picure some plaid jackets, shaggy hair, maybe some canned Budweiser...:cool:

We were poaching trails (4 wheeling) on a closed WW2 military base. We'd parked and hiked to scout a section, and cutting back over a hill to the truck, discovered signs indicating we were walking OUT :eekster: of an area marked: Unexploded Ordnance: Keep Out! Talk about exciting! Let's just say we watched the ground very carefully, made a beeline to the truck, and backed out the way we came.

·
singletrack bound
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got two and a half hours out of Giggling today with a friend. We left the concrete slab lot just after 3:00 and did multipule loops out and around East Garrision and never came across any burn area. we did see a large lot (staging area with lots of equipment and vehicles) and some evidence of brush clearing under the coastal oaks but no burn. went up 59 across 17 and over towards Garrision and stayed down low under the powerlines doing a couple of loops out that way then returning out and up behind the DOD building. Trails are awesome....traction is great, no standing water on trail.....just packed damp sand! Ran into two other riders just as we were dropping in towards DOD at the begining of our ride. guess I anwsered my own question here....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.