Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know all trails in Fort Ord are multi-use & multi-directional. I’m just curious what way you go when traveling these trails: up, down or both…

49 North (between lookout ridge & eucalyptus)

50 North

50 South

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
In general, I try to descend the most fun trails in Ord and I try not to climb them. I only rode up 50S once--my first time there, because I didn't know what I was doing. I would never go up 50N either (Barloy Rd. is right there!) and I also haven't gone up 49N, but I can see why some folks would.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. The whole reason I started this thread is the last few weeks (even weekdays) I’ve come across a lot of people climbing 49N. Probably more than the last two years combined. Most recently almost went head on with a guy going up (full turbo) on an Ebike at 20 mph. If he is using turbo why not just go up barloy and go down?

So just wanted to survey in case the previous 18 months was just a fluke due to light use during COVID or something. With 50S being a climb for Sea Otter this year I am betting there will be lots of riders heading up that as well.

·
Ride On!
1,258 Posts
I tend towards doing up/down on all the trails, have been doing that for years. Got to agree, that the eBikes have changed that a bit the last few times I was there, just a fact of life nowadays. Ft Ord is definitely a place I love to ride, I served there back in the 80's and have a whole lot more fun now than back then in the "backyard". Unfortunately, I am missing Sea Otter this year due to an unexpected surgery coming up, was going to race the enduro and ride in the MTB Tour (I like the free lunch and massage).

·
Registered
69 Posts
I climb 49 north, down 49 south, and down 50 south as well. I climb and descend 50 north.

Going down 49 north I’ve not tried, but i think it would be a blast.

Bottom line, on a busy day, it’s not a good idea to bomb any of those trails. On a non-busy day, keep your head on a swivel.

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
One of the reasons I don't ride Ord much is because of the multi-directional trails. I usually only go there when the wildflowers are peaking, but I didn't even do that this year. I can only imagine the numbers of Covid riders going the "wrong way" on trails.

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
^^ This is what I don't get (not you personally, but in general)! Barloy is paved, if it gets a little hard you have room to tack your way up. If you go up the trail there's a pretty good chance you'll greet somebody coming down fast. Why take that chance--and mess up somebody's descent? I'll take my answer off the air...

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,651 Posts
^^ This is what I don't get (not you personally, but in general)! Barloy is paved, if it gets a little hard you have room to tack your way up. If you go up the trail there's a pretty good chance you'll greet somebody coming down fast. Why take that chance--and mess up somebody's descent? I'll take my answer off the air...
I'd just be happy if there was ONE freaking jump ANYWHERE in Fort Bored. Booooooring......

·
F*** it
1,273 Posts
I'd just be happy if there was ONE freaking jump ANYWHERE in Fort Bored. Booooooring......
Every time I read about a jump in the park it's in a post about the jump's removal! There are SO many trails out there, it's just a waste not to make a couple of them progressive. Kinda like Coe. I can ride there for 4 hours and maybe get the wheels off the ground once. But at least you can have some fast long descents.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a proposal from Monterey County to put in a bike skills park, parking and bathrooms off of Watkins Gate.

As for jumps, there's a couple out there. Perhaps the biggest issue is people tend to build them in the middle of the trail on the "A" line. If they would place them off to the side for a "B" line I'm sure that would help their longevity.

Fort Ord has the potential to be a big draw, something like Cuyuna Minnesota. But you would need to invest the money and it doesn't seem like BLM is interested in really doing much. From what I've seen from most Rangers in a multitude of parks is they tend to not to want people in the park.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.