Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone up for a nice casual long ride at Fort Ord this Saturday?
Going to probably head on down there early (from Hayward) for a start around 10am from 8th and Gigling.

No specific route plan yet but will bring my Edge along and see what happens. Possibilities are copying the big MTBR rides of the past, replicating the Sea Otter race route approximately and/or running wild through the trails from the parking area to the CCCX race trails and back.

Weather should be sunny and in the 50's or so.

I've been riding maybe once a week lately and not very hard. I'm up 10 lbs since earlier this year and am eager to get back into shape soon so I can sandbag on beginners next year. :thumbsup:

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
We're planning on being there at 9:00.
Probably do our usual route of ride-around-all-over-the-place, and maybe do some exploring of new trails.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
dan51 said:
We're planning on being there at 9:00.
Probably do our usual route of ride-around-all-over-the-place, and maybe do some exploring of new trails.
9 works well for me. Any plan for the route? 2-3 hrs ride?
Kris, can you make 9AM?
Dan, will you be testing the new bike?

ZT

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I can hardly wait to try my new bike out there!
Route will probably be 20+ miles. Wee need to be home by 5, which means at the cars by 3:30-4. 6 hours should be plenty of time to get in a good ride.

We've got a route we usually stick to. I'd like to go down 82 though....

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
dan51 said:
I can hardly wait to try my new bike out there!
Route will probably be 20+ miles. Wee need to be home by 5, which means at the cars by 3:30-4. 6 hours should be plenty of time to get in a good ride.

We've got a route we usually stick to. I'd like to go down 82 though....
I can't spend six hours there, unless we start pedaling at 6AM, so I'll have to bail at some point. If I can make it I'll be there at/before 9AM. (grey Honda Element)
ZT

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
I can't spend six hours there, unless we start pedaling at 6AM, so I'll have to bail at some point. If I can make it I'll be there at/before 9AM. (grey Honda Element)
ZT
Sounds good.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
At 9am it was perfect temps in the sun. Car showed 47 degrees, or near there, but is was shorts, shirt, and sleeves for me. No jacket needed.

Trails were awesome too.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
That was a really nice ride. Glad we got out there and put in 4-5 hrs. :D
Trails were giving perfect traction. With the earth's current tilt, it made the climbs a fair bit easier today as well. I think after tomorrow, climbs start to get progressively harder.

Thanks for leading us around Dan!

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Sorry I missed the ride, my rear tire refused to hold air this morning due to another sliced sidewall (the 3rd on these specialized Fast Trak LK) - time to look to some other tire... :mad:

The Nomad is completely disassembled, which left only my SS (36x16) and the pink beach cruiser....
Glad you guys had fun, seemed like the perfect day to ride.
ZT

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
(the 3rd on these specialized Fast Trak LK) - time to look to some other tire... :mad:
/QUOTE]

Weightweenie tire.

Don't feel bad, lot's of folks are slashing sidewalls on Spesh tires recently. Crappy way to spend $45.

Next time, just PM me and tell me to bring a tire to the trailhead for you.
Yes, it was an epic day out there today.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't believe I didnt see any of you guys on the trail today. Saw lots of others though.

Zen, I have the same tire and its held up fine since around March. Ran it front and back on my Epic today at Fort Ord. Could be that your batch had a bit less rubber on the sidewalls but I doubt thats the reason. Finger is pointing to the rider about now. :)

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
NoBalance said:
Finger is pointing to the rider about now. :)
You mean I shouldn't be shredding on rock gardens with those???

I bought three tires in 3 shops (Trailhead, Calmar and online) at different times, I doubt is a bad batch problem, so you may be right...
The Eskar and Resolution are holding great on the Nomad (including N*) so my guess is lack of rubber on the sidewalls.
ZT

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zen_Turtle said:

I bought three tires in 3 shops (Trailhead, Calmar and online) at different times, I doubt is a bad batch problem, so you may be right...
The Eskar and Resolution are holding great on the Nomad (including N*) so my guess is lack of rubber on the sidewalls.
ZT
Eskar is excellent(700 grams, tubeless 2.3"), I have that on my FSR in the front - and running a S-works Captain on the back, which apparently was a bad batch since it is still losing stans now and then through tiny pinholes. I actually got a thorn stuck in it once and it would not seal and when I opened it up noticed no stans left at all, so all the stans must have seeped out slowly. Not good. Looking to replace the tire but I'll probably sell the bike first.

·
1,113 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:

ZT
I never heard of this with any other brand of tire... and pretty sure this hasn't changed???

Specialized tires do have a warranty. Covering rips or bad batches.

When they rip or fail you can take them back for a new tire.

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
One_Speed said:
I never heard of this with any other brand of tire... and pretty sure this hasn't changed???

Specialized tires do have a warranty. Covering rips or bad batches.

When they rip or fail you can take them back for a new tire.
You're right, and in fact I already had 2 of those tires replaced, no questions asked.
That's a great policy, no doubt, but I'd rather have a tire that doesn't get sidewalls shredded on every other ride...

By the way the fast trak LK 2bliss control tire is not even that superlight, it's just shy of 600g. Had no problem with the Captain so far, which is just slightly heavier.

EDIT: just got it exchanged for the Armadill version: adds about 100g but at least it should last longer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts