Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be racing in Sea Otter (SS XC) for the first time this year, so I decided to ride the course a few times before the race.

I want to follow the race course. Is it possible to find a safe parking spot that is close to the cork screw? Or should I start from somewhere else?

I will be driving from the Bay Area. I think I should be ready for the ride at around 9am. Would anyone like to join me for the ride? Standard disclaimer: You may need to be patient with me: five year rider, first time racer... :)

One of the things I want to find out is how my current 32:17 gearing will work on that course. I hope it's not way off. :)

Ali

·
Registered
43 Posts
Parking at Laguna Seca

When you enter Laguna Seca, turn right drive 300 yards bicycle parking on left across from bathrooms. If a ranger comes by he will ask for a day use fee of $6.00. Ranger may or may not stop by. Once you unload follow road to Corkscrew, cross bridge, ride down path way. Gate will be closed at bottom however, small trail on right about 100 yards before gate will go around fence. Your now at the begining of the course follow your map.

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BerlintheDog! I was there this morning. Even though I rode a total of 24 miles, I failed to get to the north part (50, 22, etc.) of the course. :D

On my first pass, I flew down on Pilarcitos all the way down to Jack's Road. I did the east section of the course. Very sandy there... :) I was skiing more than biking in a few spots. Then I came back on Skyline.

On my second pass, I did find 11, but missed 13 to 50, and ended up at Jack's again. :D At that point I started getting cramps and decided to get back on Pilarcitos; very slowly... :( I will go there a few times more anyway.

I've seen a number of posts asking what kind of bike to take there. Definitely hardtail, or even ridig. I didn't ride on any section where I thought a FS bike would be better. Again though, I haven't seen the north part of the course yet. :)

Ali

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.