Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got stuck waiting for the cable guy today so I didn't get started till 12:50 this afternoon. It was so COLD! I saw three bobcats, tried helping a guy with a flat on his tubless rear wheel, and once again fell on the most simple trails due to my clipless pedals giving me crap! Anyway, rode trail 47 for the first time today and no one was on it the whole time! What a peaceful and quiet place.

Here is my motion base link for the details: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=1759246

Hopefully some of you that rode today can post your pictures and ride details!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Great Ride!

We had a really nice ride today. Ord was green and beautiful. The highlight was Chuck struggling and hurting about midway through. Oh, and Rensho, you totally missed out. There was a Victoria's Secret photo shoot going on. But I'm sure your better offer was just that... :)

I think it ended up being about 27 miles with a little over 3,000 feet of climbing. One of the boys will likely post the exact stats.

Nice riding with you all!

Shiloh

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
Sorry we did not see you out there Joel, we had a great ride, fun bunch,

so here are my stats from today

Summary Data
Total Time (h:m:s) 4:18:06
Moving Time (h:m:s) 3:15:36
Distance (mi ) 25.35
Moving Speed (mph) 7.8 avg.
Elevation Gain (ft) +4,220 / -4,245

Temperature (°F) 50.4°F avg. 51.8°F high
Wind Speed ( mph) SW 5.5 avg. SW 9.2 max.

and here is the link

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/...unitSystemPkValue=2&episodePk.pkValue=1759245

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you guys rode the same trails as last time.

Looks like you guys did pretty much the same ride as last time. After conquering 47 I was starting to feel a little tired. I did clean everything I rode today which was awesome. Not too many steep hils but there were some pretty long ones that were very tiring. I was contemplating doing Goat but it was already 3 in the afternoon and I hated the thought of having to climb back out of there towards 50.

Did anyone clean all your climbs except for 38? I tried cleaning 49 the other day coming back from Goat going up to towards the Rock but I slipped right in the middle and had to dismount. I will get it one of these days!

The ridge line was great today on trail 11 up towards Leguna Seca. I sported the SCOTT today instead of the KONA hardtail and what a difference! It did suck hauling that 35 lb monster up some of those hills though, but I was a lot more in control on the down hills and could manuever a lot better elsewhere. Did any one ride a SS today?

No pics since I was by myself. You guys will have to check out the western side of Ord sometime. Although, not much in terms of DH, it does have some interesting single track. Having to truck back to Gigling and 8th instead of East Garrison at the end was a bit of a downer as well, but it was closer to my house being out there instead of East Garrison! Cheers everyone. Hope we can ride again soon when my cable guy isn't wastin' my time!

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
That ride today was perfect!
We had a fairly quick pace, and not very many stops for the size of our group.
We lost half an hour due to 8track's seat post mishap, but it all turned out fine.
I'm friggin exhausted and have a huge headache too.

I recorded 26.5 miles and ~3100 feet of climbing.

Joel, we do ride the West side quite a bit. The problem lately is when we get to the end of 59, most everyone is exhausted and so we miss out on that stuff over there. Today we were at about 22 miles at the end of 59.

Here's some photos. They came out kind of crappy, so I had to touch them up. So now they are just polished turds.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
What a day!

We did a family ride today out of the DOD parking lot this afternoon. My GF (on her B-day no less :) ) , our 5 1/2 year-old, and me. I took the Niner SS, she took the Nomad, and the kidlet on her 20 in. Hotrock. The conditions were perfect, sun was out (but cool), wildlife evertwhere.....just a great day.

- The squirt is a chip off the ol' block, a singletrack hound! She rode Blair Witch & Mini Moab today, first time she's seen either of those trails. It doesn't get any better. :thumbsup:

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
DMFT said:
We did a family ride today out of the DOD parking lot this afternoon. My GF (on her B-day no less :) ) , our 5 1/2 year-old, and me. I took the Niner SS, she took the Nomad, and the kidlet on her 20 in. Hotrock. The conditions were perfect, sun was out (but cool), wildlife evertwhere.....just a great day.

- The squirt is a chip off the ol' block, a singletrack hound! She rode Blair Witch & Mini Moab today, first time she's seen either of those trails. It doesn't get any better. :thumbsup:
Awesome. Always nice when you can get the family involved.

Which one is mini moab?

-Dan

·
Altitude addict
118 Posts
It was a perfect day to ride

What a great ride today. It was my first time to ride at Ord and it was a blast. Thank's Dan for leading the ride and it was good to meet everyone....even though I can't remember everyones name.

Dan...You wouldn't happen to remember a rough order of the trail #'s we rode today would you? Thanks

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I'm bad with the trail #'s out there, sad, I know. I've only been riding there for 10 years or soand one might think I'd know all the #'s by now. :) I want to say it's #9. Or, a description of the area might do it for ya. - South on Henekins (sp?), which is the paved road that Blair Witch (in the proper dirrection) starts on. The first or the second fireroad will get you up to the plateau (and spot where about 6 fireroads meet). At the plateau you overlook the "Forbidden City" / CIA Training area. Take the fireroad due West and veer Right onto the Singletrack and that takes you into Moab. It's short, but a fun, techy, multiple line choice place on red sandstone and rock.

- I'll take ya there some time, that's easier. :D

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
rogan said:
Dan...You wouldn't happen to remember a rough order of the trail #'s we rode today would you? Thanks
Check out the map Joel posted, it's perfect. We'll be doing that ride a lot this winter. As we get in better shape we'll start adding bonus loops and miles.

Dave, I know the area you're talking about now. I'll have to hunt around for the section you're talking about. We were at the peak where the fire roads meet, so me may have come up mini moab.

-Dan

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
dan51 said:
Looks like a fun ride in ideal conditions!

Hey yo, I'm no downhill coach but on the left hand sweeper, y'all gotta lock your right leg, put your weight on your left hand and lean forward to the left a little. (leelikesbikes.com is the king of cornering advice https://www.leelikesbikes.com/wp-content/101406leeS.jpg)

Waterfall pic...
- that trail is gnar-gnar! Did anyone ride that down?

francois

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
I came up with just over 3,100 ft of climb and Motion Based inflated it to 3,881 ft
can you tell me how you calculated the first number? I am keen to understand how your calculation, the 305, and the Vista all got different numbers.

Jim

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Hey!

francois said:
Waterfall pic...
- that trail is gnar-gnar! Did anyone ride that down?

francois
C'mon now... This is a "gnar gnar" free zone! Watch your choice of adjectives:D

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
addictionms said:
can you tell me how you calculated the first number? I am keen to understand how your calculation, the 305, and the Vista all got different numbers.

Jim
At the end of the ride the Edge 305 had the total climb at 3140ft and change (I did not wright it down), The Garmin Training Center comes up with 3410ft and Motion Based has 3881 ft. It's all a foreign language to me.:confused:

I think we will need Big Larry for the true answer.

-Jeff

·
TANSTAAFL
402 Posts
jeffh said:
At the end of the ride the Edge 305 had the total climb at 3140ft and change (I did not wright it down), The Garmin Training Center comes up with 3410ft and Motion Based has 3881 ft. It's all a foreign language to me.:confused:
I think the Vista and th e305 have barometirc and GPS to figure out the altitude, but in talking to a buddy who is more plugged in than me he tells me unless you calibrate the barometirc almost hourly it will be messed up because of changing weather. There is an option on the Motionbased site that is called "Gravity MB" which calculates the altitude a different way based on a survey. It made a significant change in my numbers at Coe but not at Fort Ord, so who knows what the anwer is, just that it was between 3K and 4K vert

Jim

1 - 20 of 36 Posts