Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to MORCA's website:

ESCA/ FORT ORD "HAPPY TRAILS" CLOSURES-- In
short, trail closures of Happy Trails area will likely be by
mid-December as major paperwork has been signed here and just needs to
be signed in Washington, DC. :-( This has been a long time coming, but
still will be a shock when our favorite trails have "closed"
designations on them.

Can anyone who has ridden there lately confirm or deny the status of the trail system?

Thx and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'm not sure where Happy Trails is, But I came across this sign not far from the CCCX course on the other side of the road from where they start the XC races about a week ago.

They also seem to be doing a lot of clear cutting in the same area.

Attachments

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
They have put red stakes in the middle of the trails saying they are closed.
This affects some of the CCCX race course area.
As the picture jeffh posted, lots of demolition is happening in the area in the form of leveling vegetation. Too bad too. Some of those Oaks out there are awesome. Hopefully they will get left alone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
jeffh said:
I'm not sure where Happy Trails is...
Happy Trails are the trails around the west end of Ft Ord. Basically, they are all the trails that are not the BLM trails.

Some trails are temporarily closed while work crews perform remediation efforts (remove ammo) to prepare the area for transition to various regulatory groups. It is best to avoid these areas while the workers are there. If we piss off the ESCA/FORA managers they could close the whole freakin' area.

Note: The Happy Trails are open for night riding. The BLM trails are not.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Ran into some signs when I was there too, but mostly while exiting the trail and looking back! On weekends the workers aren't there apparently. This will definitely affect most of the "happy trails" and CCCX course trails. I wonder what their timeline is?

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from a good ride there

Parked at 8th and Gigling and rode out thru Happy Trails. Trails are in great shape, however, seeing what they are doing to Happy Trails is amazing. It reminded me of what those aliens were doing to the hillsides during War of the Worlds. It's going to get ugly out there. Kind of sad... Regardless, great ride and it was great to see lots of people starting off the new year the right way (including me and my bud)... Happy New Year!

·
Caldaw
54 Posts
Trail Closures

Indeed they seem to be closing some trails as Coldawg & I saw when riding there a week ago Sunday. There were also police out ticketing riders!
Hope we don't lose more amazing NorCal Trails

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
It looks from the sign like this is the same type of work that the military did down in San Diego in the land that was Camp Elliott, North of Mission trails. A couple of kids in Tierrasanta blew themselves up and the military came in and did a full sweep. Took a couple of years, sectional closures of the affected areas, and they really did a job tearing down all the sagebrush and scrub - almost cleared it to a scorched-earth appearance in a few places, but eventually it grew back. Then I moved. So - hopefully it is just an inconvenience for a while.

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may be wrong...

Screamer said:
So are we losing the trails forever?
but it's my understanding that the raping of the trees/vegetation for the mine sweep is so they can continue w/ the building of housing out there and maybe a horse stable?

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
gobike said:
but it's my understanding that the raping of the trees/vegetation for the mine sweep is so they can continue w/ the building of housing out there and maybe a horse stable?
I think the horse stable plan died.
I doubt anyone will be building houses there in quite some time. Have you seen the other "housing development"? That plan looks like it has come to a halt.

Years from now the land will probably be turned into housing. Hopefully we'll be able to ride there for several more years...

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same thing

dan51 said:
I think the horse stable plan died.
I doubt anyone will be building houses there in quite some time. Have you seen the other "housing development"? That plan looks like it has come to a halt.

Years from now the land will probably be turned into housing. Hopefully we'll be able to ride there for several more years...
when I first heard about the plan to build housing out there. I'm hopeful you are correct. I haven't been to the East Garrison since they fenced it off. I was completely bummed when they closed that area off. Is that the housing you are speaking of?

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
gobike said:
when I first heard about the plan to build housing out there. I'm hopeful you are correct. I haven't been to the East Garrison since they fenced it off. I was completely bummed when they closed that area off. Is that the housing you are speaking of?
Yeah, it's the East Garrison area. You should take a ride by there and have a peek. There are two sweet jumps right next to it we always put in our loop out there.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
gobike said:
- With the foreclosure rate in Monterey County I doubt either of the housing projects on the former Ft. Ord will get off the ground anytime soon. And, sadly we won't be given access anytime soon either from 1 of the 2 being Woodman's East Garrison bust...I mean project. :rolleyes:

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DMFT said:
- With the foreclosure rate in Monterey County I doubt either of the housing projects on the former Ft. Ord will get off the ground anytime soon. And, sadly we won't be given access anytime soon either from 1 of the 2 being Woodman's East Garrison bust...I mean project. :rolleyes:
I have not been to the East Garrison since they put up the gate and security guard awhile back. From a couple of the posts, it sounds like there's nothing happening there. Is it still gated?

I was completely bummed when EG closed. It forced me to really get out and explore Happy Trails, which I really really loved (now it's getting closed too :( )That was a great trailhead. I would love to get access to it again. There was such a cool sense of history, coupled w/ great trails, and room for lots of foot/bike traffic.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
gobike said:
I have not been to the East Garrison since they put up the gate and security guard awhile back. From a couple of the posts, it sounds like there's nothing happening there. Is it still gated?
It is still gated, but if it weren't there wouldn't be any trails to ride. They have completely leveled the place. You can see what would be streets and home lots. Not a single plant grows there now..... It would be a good place to build a pump track if you could get some land.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
To my knowledge, we have lost only 1 trail due to that E.G. project. The Graveyard Trail....
Short, Sweet, and sadly, gone.

The big downer is the loss of a great (as everyone knows) staging point for mountain biking, road riding/crit racing, and even hiking. Someday there will be access there again with easments to the trails. For now, everyone just has to park elsewhere and for heavens-sakes RIDE FARTHER to get to/find their favorite places. :D

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.