Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode there for the first time yesterday and had a blast. Being in Marin, I don't get down there very often. I pedaled out at 7:30am into a foggy wonderland. It was cool and calm, perfect riding conditions, the kind you could pedal in all day. I did a 14mi loop partially based on a reco and partially on my own route finding. The environment was beautiful! The ferns, the oaks with Moss, the marshes. And the riding was super fun and different than anything I've been on in the bay. Esp the rocky sandstone and flowy stuff.

So I'm taking a poll on favorite descents, the more tech and rowdy the better. My favorites if I remember them correctly: 32, 42, 82 (awesome), 44, 41 (so fast). Whatcha think?

Also, weather-wise, did I just get lucky? Yeah it was early and the fog appeared to be breaking as I left 10-1030. But I saw lots of ferns. Does it get oppressively hot there? I'd like to plan my next jaunt down there accordingly as this time I was working in Monterrey and got out super early the next day. Next time it'll be a commute from Marin..... so later start.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/7721546/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I rode there last week doing the mega loop from creekside terrace----normally I ride here only in the winter but I was amazed at the conditions---really super--dry of course but not much sand. Just a few sandy places near creekside. Nice surprise

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
These days its a toss up between 32 and 82 when it comes to favorite descent. 32 is close to the trail head so you need to watch for walkers, 82 is in the middle of Fort Ord so its rare to see anyone that far out on foot but you will occasionally see people attempting to climb it. The long time favorite for most locals is probably Goat Trail(41 I think). Plenty of fun to be had out there.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Ord is extremely consistent year round, except in the winter you might be lucky to get a few days of decent traction. Just a friendly reminder, no ebikes!!!

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,544 Posts
Goat trail (41) is the crown jewel of Fort Ord DH trails, and really, the last of the old existing Fort Ord trail system. The majority of what you rode was built by MORCA, for the most part, but Goat Trail was there before anyone was allowed on the property, and HOPEFULLY stays that way. I know 82, or Merrill (named for the Merrill family and their adjacent property) was also there prior to the master trails plan.

Super glad you had fun OP. 5010 is quite possibly the perfect bike for Ord's changing landscapes..

·
default title
541 Posts
Yeah, and those China trade sanctions - Thanks MORCA.

WTF are you all on about? It's sand. Sand and steep trails means high erosion no matter the user base. Do you want the trail to still be there? For some of those trails it's pretty doubtful.

Thanks MORCA for working with BLM on legal trail maintenance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have HUGE appreciation for MORCA, and for the BLM for that matter. Yessir- there's plenty going on that's nowhere close to perfect @ Ord, but holy cow-- there have been several sweet new trails added in recent years, many with the active participation of MORCA.

Heck- there are simply way more good trails to ride at Ord than I can do in one day. So, yeah... I ride 20+ different MTB areas in the greater SF-Monterey Bay area, and Ford Ord ranks HIGH for me. :)

Yeah, and those China trade sanctions - Thanks MORCA.

WTF are you all on about? It's sand. Sand and steep trails means high erosion no matter the user base. Do you want the trail to still be there? For some of those trails it's pretty doubtful.

Thanks MORCA for working with BLM on legal trail maintenance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you have constructive criticism to make on trail work on Fort Ord feel free to email [email protected]. You can also volunteer on trail work days and have a direct influence on the outcome. Keep in mind these are multi use trails and not being built specifically for your personal preference. Even in the mountain bike user communities I've heard polar opposite opinions about the exact same trail. In general the guiding principles are 1. Build within parameter set by the land manager. 2. Reduce how often maintenance needs to be done. 3. Reduce user conflict (improve sightlines). 4. Make the trails fun for mountain biking.

·
default title
541 Posts
Sorry man, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I'll give them an A for effort. The China sanctions? Not sure what that's all about
Blaming MORCA for night riding tickets, as if they had anything to do with BLM enforcement. I was just giving something else to blame MORCA about.

There are plenty of trails out there that have sustained the elements, but where do we draw the line, do you just accept poor workmanship because the intentions were good?
Great question and I think SerfRider replied back pretty well.

Working with volunteers for trailwork is a challenge. Even working with experienced trail crews there can be (often is) different opinions on how to work on a bit of trail. I've only gone down to Ord a few times for trailwork and deferred to their crew leaders' experience working with sand and chaparral habitat. That's the ticket right there - as a volunteer you should ask questions if you're not sure how to do something and check in with the crew leader(s) to make sure you're on the right track for what the *land manager* would like a trail corridor to look like. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what *you* think the trail should look like.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,544 Posts
Between the close of Ord in the late 90's, and day #1 of BLM take over many, many years later, night riding in Ord was always a grey area up until the solidified and current formation of MORCA in the late 2000's. The catalyst was when MORCA made the conscious decision to address what is legal, and what is not with BLM directly. What was found at that time was there was a small population of nocturnal salamanders that exist in Ord which had been discovered in a biological study that was already happening. Some say MORCA opened pandora's box, and had anyone not mentioned it, nobody would have noticed otherwise and night riding whenever we wanted, would still be legal. It was a few years later that BLM enforcement was in full effect over night riding in Ord. Around the time of MORCA permitting and group rides, I was stopped, warned and let go, the first time I went night riding out there (after the permit). Second occasion I ran into a ranger was sometime around 2010, and as the group exited Ord, we were asked to stop, but we had left the open lands already. Thinking we were free, later that night, turned out there was a straggler in our group, who was in fact ticketed to the tune of $275.00.. Of course we all chipped in to help offset his ticket... Rules are rules, I suppose.. MORCA presented the best option for night riding.

I will mention that even though night riding in Ord will at some point bring on the attention of BLM, and you will ultimately be cited and released, with your bike, there are places in CA that your bike will, or could be confiscated. I'm of the age where I remember plenty of night time poaches under the cover of darkness..

Irony is how off road night riding in Monterey County is somewhat illegal, and one of the best, and largest manufacturers of night lights in the country, Light and Motion is in Marina, CA...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.