Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering what the latest is on fort ord access from the north or west side. I assume the east garrison gate is still closed. How about the parking on inter garrison road? Or did that get bulldozed also? I've been parking at 8th and gigling lately but am looking for a shorter route to get to the trail 49, 50, 82 area. Any info would be appreciated.

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
I'm not sure where those trails are, but I'm going in from the East off of Portola Road (East end by Reservation Rd) tomorrow. Is that closer?

·
Registered
641 Posts
There is parking at the end of intergarrison, and seeing as 49,50, and 82 are more or less smack dab in the middle of ft ord, its a crapshoot which is closer, creekside or intergarrison. Maybe you guys could start at the same time and see who gets there first, hah.

·
Registered
83 Posts
se47 said:
Hey all,

I was wondering what the latest is on fort ord access from the north or west side. I assume the east garrison gate is still closed. How about the parking on inter garrison road? Or did that get bulldozed also? I've been parking at 8th and gigling lately but am looking for a shorter route to get to the trail 49, 50, 82 area. Any info would be appreciated.
East Garrison is closed. You are right, parking at the 8th/Gigling lot will get you a few miles on pavement before you get to a legal trail.

InterGarrison is still open. There is an "access corridor" off-road trail from Inter Garrison through the FORA land to Ft Ord. From InterGarrison to the trail 49/50 confluence it's 2.3 miles as the crow flys. From Creekside Terrace (near Portola on the east side) it's nearly 3 miles as the crow flys.

Your best bet (depending on your criteria) is to start at Inter Garrison. Better trails/more time on dirt. There are maps and a Google Earth overlay on the MORCA website. www.MORCAmtb.org

Specifically at... http://www.morcamtb.org/trails/

Hope this helps.

·
singletrack bound
3,107 Posts
Yes, inter-garrison rd is the new spot. Left off of Lightfighter onto Gen Jim Moore through CSUMB a few blocks then right on Inter-Garrison. Past the student campus housing to where the road make an abrupt left turn look for the white barriers, turn out and signage. It puts you right in to the BLM lands and trails. Giggling will require about two miles of pavement to get to the legal stuff.Out and back.....

Did two hours of multiple loops in and around East Garrison today and had a great ride. The trail surface is in the best shape ever! Hard pack with a light dusting of tackiness on the surface! Sweet and fast!!!!
The different starting point brings a new look to how you hook up your loops as compared to originating the ride from 8th & Giggling. You need to add a couple more loops to get in the hours and miles but still really fun never the less!!!! We didn't commit to the lookout point 49/50 and loops south towards Creekside Terrace. we just stayed in and around Garrison.
You have to navigate around single track that we all used to ride. You really begin to realize just how much single track we has lost and probably will never see again.
not complaining for sure!
:D

·
MTB skillz = NADA
724 Posts
I hit Ft Ord today for the first time. It was also my first time on a mountain bike for about 15 years, and the first time riding on hilly/mountainous terrain. It was AWESOME, and I can't wait to get out there again.

By the way, we went in on the black top at Creekside Terrace and went up, up, up. I took a look at the 3 Sisters, but I didn't even attempt it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.