Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
slow
7,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on the front page of Yahoo this morning:

Bicyclists caught running red lights or riding on the wrong side of Fort Collins roads face paying a new "traffic calming" surcharge.

The City Council last night approved the plan to add a $35 surcharge to traffic tickets issued to cyclists. The surcharge would apply only to tickets that would be considered a 1-point or more moving violation had they been issued to a motorist.

The rest is here:

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20100106/UPDATES01/100106008/1002/rss

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
from article:
"The City Council last night approved the plan to add a $35 surcharge to traffic tickets issued to cyclists. The surcharge would apply only to tickets that would be considered a 1-point or more moving violation had they been issued to a motorist.

Motorists already pay the surcharge, which Fort Collins police say pays the salaries for two traffic-enforcement officers. "

While I wouldn't call it a win for cyclist, I do agree in general with cyclist being treated the same as motorist (e.g. our right to be on the road)...

·
Helmet Tester
41 Posts
I never truly "run" red lights, but sometimes after sitting and waiting for the light to change I will proceed on through the intersection when traffic clears. This is my only real beef with the new stance in FTC ... too many red lights do not recognize a cyclist.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I don't generally ride with ID, so if they pull me over I will be sure to identify myself as Hedley Lamarr.
Don't let the Sheriff's dogs catch you. Last I herd he has standing orders to arrest any cyclist stopped with out ID.

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
I saw a road biker get pulled over by a cop at an intersection during the beginning of the MS150. The organizers told us to obey all laws (which makes sense)... but this cocky roadie did it anyway... got a ticket... good.

Not sure about this law... but clearly its becoming a problem. People think that because they're on bikes they can do just about anything. I usually 'make a right turn, then a left turn, then another right to make it look like I'm integrating with traffic. It works, and was held up when an officer pulled over a friend of mine in downtown wichita.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The thing that gets me is the fact that the surcharge funds law enforcement officers. This is problematic as budget requirements might drive enforcement policies. One could suspect the officers being on 'sales' quota.

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
I ride road a lot and generally obey traffic rules, about to the same extent that I obey traffic rules when I'm in my car. I almost stop at stop signs in both my car and bike, I drive five to ten mph over the limit outside of residential and commercial areas, I generally stay in the lane, and I only make u-turns I'm not supposed to make when I really have to . . . it's never blatant idsregard for the rules--just gamng the system. When I get caught occasionally, I pay the ticket and life moves on. That's the inherent risk of the game, no matter the vehicle you're on.

Re IndecentExposure's inevitable "roadie" comment, the funny thing is, I tend to see mountain bikers violate more rules of the trail and I see roadies violate traffic laws. The only difference is ther are no cops on the trail.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
Rich, I enjoy your posts significantly more when you don't change your mind and edit your stuff. So for my personal entertainment, can you please unedit your post? :D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
jeffman said:
I never truly "run" red lights, but sometimes after sitting and waiting for the light to change I will proceed on through the intersection when traffic clears. This is my only real beef with the new stance in FTC ... too many red lights do not recognize a cyclist.
In some places, Cyclists and Mopeds get exemptions from weight triggered red lights, but they have to stop and wait at least a little.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Nickle said:
Rich, I enjoy your posts significantly more when you don't change your mind and edit your stuff. So for my personal entertainment, can you please unedit your post? :D
Well I deleted my post because upon first read of the story, I missed a critical point the surcharge that I was asking a question about. After re-reading it, It answered my question so there was no need to leave it.

topmounter said:
What's the point of the surcharge exactly?... especially since it says motorists already have to pay it. Why don't they just increase the fine amount?
Probably to skirt some complex max fine law or an easier way to raise the rate without a bunch of other effort.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.