Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine showed me this formula for setting up my fork and it came very close to where I have it after much trial and error and hours of rideing ( This is for XC )
Weigh yourself geared up and ready to ride ( 190lbs ) X .9 = 171 divide by 2 = 85.5
I had my fork at 85 psi.

So dos'e anyone have a formula for setting up the rear shock ?

·
Registered
435 Posts
It depends upon the lever ratio, the shock piston area, the percent of the rider weight on the back wheel, etc., so it will be different for each bike design.

Most bike manufacturers have worked this out and provide tables of suggested "starting points" for pressure setting. If you don't have tables, I would start with pressure equals rider weight.

I also doubt that your fork formula will provide an exact answer on all bikes, but it does provide a starting point if you don't have tables.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Pelon said:
A buddy of mine showed me this formula for setting up my fork and it came very close to where I have it after much trial and error and hours of rideing ( This is for XC )
Weigh yourself geared up and ready to ride ( 190lbs ) X .9 = 171 divide by 2 = 85.5
I had my fork at 85 psi.

So dos'e anyone have a formula for setting up the rear shock ?
That's great, however, as billee noted, it is highly unlikely that the "formula" will work for all air forks. There are too many variables, air chamber size, rider position on the bike (weight bias), rider preference, etc. It will likely work as a "starting point" in most cases, but certainly isn't a definative "this is where you need to be" type thing. Fine tunning for optimum performance will still take some fiddling. The key is knowing what adjustments that you have and what each one does, and how it affects the ride, feel, and performance of the fork.

As for the rear, billee hit it right on the head. There is no way to develop a formula for rear suspension that will cover everything out there. Take the variables for a fork and multiply them by about 10. A simple formula just can't cover all of the variables. Most bike/frame manufacturers provide the consumer with a generic owner's manual that really doesn't cover rear suspension set up, unless that's all the manufacture does is full suspension bikes. However most do provide addendums that cover basic rear suspension set up for their suspension design. It may come with the owners manual (usually a seperate document), or instructions may be available online at the manufacturers website. But do keep in mind that even then it will be "recommendations", not carved in stone, invariable instructions. Small tweaks will still likely be necessary to compensate for riding style, terrain, rider preference, etc.

The bottom line is, there is still no substitute for setting up the fork and rear suspension per manufacutrers recommendations, then methodically making adjustments to suit you. But you still have to understand your equipment, what adjustments you have available to you, and what they do. From there it really isn't that hard. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize

That a formula will not nail it on every bike , rider and rideing style but I was amazed at how close it came for me as it took some time with trial and error for me to find what worked best for me and the terran that I normaly ride.
I thank those that took the time to give positive feed back as I am just a weekend warrior and not a suspension guru.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.