Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have just developed quite a headache from reading countless reviews of various formula breaks. It would appear that they are the best thing ever. But what is the difference between all the various types, K18, K24, Puro, Bianco, The One, my head is hurting again. There's the cost, I have figured that much out, there is the colour, there are various levels of bling, but I can seem to figure out if there is any particular difference in their ability to stop you? In short I want to stop quick, saving a few grams and having fancy looking bits would be nice, but not at 50% additional cost. At the moment I am thinking of the K24's, it looks like they will just do the job. They will be going onto a DH bike, to be ridden mostly in mud. Any advise?

I do like the look of the Puro's, but I reckon that's just the bling catchin my eye. If the wife gets her hand on the credit card bill I'll need a better story than I felt like pimpin the bike.

Sean

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
All of the ORO series will provide the same performance, sans Biancos. The K18, K24, and Puro are basically the same. The Bianco has a 1 finger, and considerably more narrow lever and comes with sintered pads for better performance. The difference between these is subtle.

The One/Mega series is a step up in power and modulation from the ORO series. The Ones are rediculously strong, come with sintered pads, and use the same rotors as the OROs. The weight of the Ones is slightly greater than the OROs, so many people use them for XC, though they may not be the best option.

As Chris from Formula pointed out in another thread, the Ones are built as a DH brake. They will require a greater time to break in an XC environment, and may never develop their full potential. I noticed this on my AM RFX. Once I hit a long, 3.5 mile DH, they really came to life.

I have both brakes, for an XC ride, the Biancos are the ticket. For AM/Freeride/DH, the Ones are tough to beat at the weight. In short, get the Ones or Megas.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think the Bianco's were originally billed as a DH brake before the one/mega series came out, so don't discount those. I ride DH/Freeride with the k18's w/sintered pads on 200mm rotors. I can't imagine needing more power even with me weighing 180 and the bike around 40 pounds. Easy one finger braking, no fade at all, and around $100 bucks cheaper per brake than the One. The only reason personally I would step up to the One is to be able to run a smaller rotor, but I'm not concerned with that. (And the k18's have that same shiny black finish that I think looks pretty good...)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I currently use the Oro K18, K24 and Oro Puro on my XC bikes.

The Oro Puro's give me more braking power and better modulation (because of better hoses?) The difference with the K18 and K24 is very minimal though...
The K18 and K24 provide exactly the same power.

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
Formula's are sick... It's not like the k18's are more cheaply made than the k24's or the Bianco's or the Ones. All of there lines have equal craftsmanship. The difference DH/FR vs. the XC brakes is gonna be the piston and reservoir size (i believe)... making the One's and Mega more resilient against overheating. Formula uses different sized rotors to increase overall stopping power.

I use K24's (160mm) for XC, but I would have no problems throwing on larger rotors for some DH rides (if FL had some mountains!!!!)...

Remember, prices of the brake packages do not normally include rotors/adapters... those are seperate in Formula's case.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Qprs said:
I currently use the Oro K18, K24 and Oro Puro on my XC bikes.

The Oro Puro's give me more braking power and better modulation (because of better hoses?) The difference with the K18 and K24 is very minimal though...
The K18 and K24 provide exactly the same power.
Puro has sintered pads whereas the k18/24 are organic. $15 for the sintered pads and you've got exactly the same performance as the Puro. I've heard the kevlar hose doesn't make a noticeable difference, but I haven't compared the two types.

Oh yeah...PM Ventanarama for awesome Formula prices

Edit: Formula Brakes website says organic alloy backed pads on the Puro whereas Universal Cycles says sintered. If the Puro isn't considerably more powerful than the K18/24 maybe the hose is the difference? I'm curious...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
andykrow said:
Puro has sintered pads whereas the k18/24 are organic. $15 for the sintered pads and you've got exactly the same performance as the Puro. I've heard the kevlar hose doesn't make a noticeable difference, but I haven't compared the two types.

Oh yeah...PM Ventanarama for awesome Formula prices

Edit: Formula Brakes website says organic alloy backed pads on the Puro whereas Universal Cycles says sintered. If the Puro isn't considerably more powerful than the K18/24 maybe the hose is the difference? I'm curious...
Puros come with organic pads which have a little more initial bite, but will fade sooner, where the sinteres pads have less initial bite, but will not fade as quickly and last longer. I put the sintereds on and like them better. They grab plenty.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i have the k24's and they're awesome. given that their price is already sky high, i wouldn't consider getting the oros. i've developed a squeal on the rear caliper but im addressing the issue now...resolved it before, easy fix.

i just got a pair of the bianco levers to put on my master cylinders. that should give me a little more power and leverage.

if you do get the oro's, be sure to factor in the price of a dozen roses for the wife.

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
puro's come w/ Ti hardware right? Formula has got it right... build a brake that really works well and offer it in different versions for different customers. No need to build a good system and sell it for a high price and then make an average system just to sell for a lower price!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I've used k18's on my DH bike in race environments and they performed flawless. I personally chose k18's due to price and I didn't need to other gizmo's. Also, IMO the black looks much better than the silver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
brake squeal on megas

I've got brand new oro puro megas on my Knolly v-tach. The rear is squealing (front is not). The squeal dissipates a little if I pedal out-of-the-saddle. Is it common for the squeal to dissipate after break-in? The alignment of the caliper seems ok, so I'm not sure what to think.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
tijuanamoods said:
I've got brand new oro puro megas on my Knolly v-tach. The rear is squealing (front is not). The squeal dissipates a little if I pedal out-of-the-saddle. Is it common for the squeal to dissipate after break-in? The alignment of the caliper seems ok, so I'm not sure what to think.

Thanks
my formulas didn't squeal until just recently...had them for about 2 years. like yours, only the rear caliper squealed, mostly when not engaged. turned out, easing off on the torque for the bolts solved the problem. no more sounds at all, even when engaged, dry or wet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
misctwo said:
my formulas didn't squeal until just recently...had them for about 2 years. like yours, only the rear caliper squealed, mostly when not engaged. turned out, easing off on the torque for the bolts solved the problem. no more sounds at all, even when engaged, dry or wet.
thanks, man. will give that a go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.