Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have adjusted the little dial all the way I can to bring the lever in towards the bar. But it still uncomfortable for my size hand. Do you guys have any fixes for this? I hope I don't have to sell them but I will if there is no fix for me:madman:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Try moving the brake to the outside of the bar and make it so you grab the lever in the closest spot to the bar not the end. You will probably lose some overall pulling power and a little power modulation but it's worth a shot.

The only other thing I can think of would be to take the lever off, heat it and bend it.

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTR,
I've moved the clamp in so that I only use the index finger like you suggested but that was not enough to fix it. I would rather sell the brakes than try to bend them. Thanks for the reply. What would happen if I let some fluid out?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
in case you haven't tried this, take off your wheel and spread your pads with a plastic tire lever. re-install wheel and pump your brake. this will reset your pistons in case the lever was squeezed with out the disc in the rotor.

If that doesn't help, pull your wheel and shove the red colored pad spreader that should have came with your brake. while spreader is in place and pads are spread, crack the bleeder screw a bit until fluid dribbles out. You shouldn't have to completely remove the bleeder to get some fluid out.

if you've already done these things, kindly disregard my post.

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bt, Should I dial the reash screw back in from it's current position before I try the suggestions you made?
Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have small hands with short fingers and have no problem adjusting the reach on my R1s which have the same master cylinder. The difference is I don't have the adjustment knob, I need a tool. Maybe the knob uses up some of the useful adjustment range.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You need an expert

why not call Formula USA and have them look at you picture. Or better yet go to your local bike store and have the mechanic adjust the brake levers for you.
Ask for Chris or Charlie. Their website has the phone number.
Cheers,

Kane

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bummer!!! Just got off the phone with Formula and no joy:( The reach is the reach. No amount of bleeding will help. No pad contact adj will help. Bummer. They did say that the 2008 year thay had the other problem that people were saying that the reach could not be pushed out far enough. Oh well so be it. Look for some almost new The Ones' for sale soon:)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
pachaven said:
Bummer!!! Just got off the phone with Formula and no joy:( The reach is the reach. No amount of bleeding will help. No pad contact adj will help. Bummer. They did say that the 2008 year thay had the other problem that people were saying that the reach could not be pushed out far enough. Oh well so be it. Look for some almost new The Ones' for sale soon:)
I need some brakes, let me know when you are gonna sell them please.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
edit edit: On third thought: Nobody thinks this problem is due to faulty piston seals? This sounds like a seal that's too stiff and is allowing the pistons to slip along the seal rather than flexing the seal. I can't think of anything else that could cause this.

·
Registered
863 Posts
D.F.L. said:
On second thought, never mind.
To much lever throw has always been my issues with formula brakes,I like a one finger touch and stop set up.Thats the way my hope v2 are set up,I'm not sure if you can formula to set up with very little lever throw,but I did not have much luck with them.

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What should I sell them for? 450 or 500 for the set?? I have no idea what they sell for. They were in the build kit on my TallBoy.

·
Ow!
775 Posts
Bummer. I have the first generation and, as Formula said, have the opposite problem (gorilla hands). Eventually bought aftermarket levers (Twenty6) that mostly solved the problem, and am very happy with them.

pachaven and others, if you like the "feel" of the brakes (and I am sure they feel great once you can get your fingers around them), you might consider getting a 1st gen model. Reach is very adjustable for smaller hands. There might be some posters around willing to do an exchange. But there are many other good brakes out there too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.