Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Executive User - UK
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would love to hear your some thoughts on basic stuff, like does the lever work like the 09 model with the lever close to the bar or is it more like the 09 R1 which works further out from the bar.If that makes sense!?

Look forward to hearing your comments when you have more time on them. What size rotors did you go with>

·
Registered
839 Posts
Off out tonight, but in the meantime, there's a review on bikeradar (BTW I did round one of the Torx bolts!)

"Very expensive, but super-light, with great stopping power and lever feel"

Formula's original The One brake was already in a different power-to-weight ratio league, and the MY10 takes that performance to a whole new level.

The calliper is an evolved version of the original single-piece One unit, with new fluid circuits for even smoother operation and easier syringe-based bleeding. But the 10 sticks the R1 lever on the end for exceptionally low weight.

There's still loads of power from the first touch, with a 10:1 brake-to-lever force ratio that only drops slightly below Shimano Saint levels at full heave.

There's no bite point adjust, but lever feel is fantastic, it's quiet and heat resistance is excellent. The pads wear quickly though, and you need to be careful with the tiny alloy Torx bolts, especially at this price

·
Executive User - UK
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So my 2010 The Ones turned up today :thumbsup:

Some weights and pics....

2009 MC = 104g

2010 MC = 65g

2009 Caliper = 79g

2010 Caliper = 77g

2009 Disc = 137g

2010 Disc = 126g

Formula The One standard pad = 24g

Goodridge sintered pad = 22g

No ride report as of yet (other than a quick scoot down the drive and a pull on the lever to check they were working fine. Initial comments feel like bleeding is much easier now due to the position of the MC bleed valve.
The lever feel is more like the R1s and seems to run further from the bar than the 09 models which may contribute to more "arm pump" fatigue. The plus side is the lever feels far more positive and doesnt seem to change in throw like some people reported.

Will get some time on them this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can't get the whole lever positioning thing. If a lever seems to run further from the bar, what do you mean by this?

All I want to know: Is the free stroke (distance pulled until pad bite is felt) shortened this year, and can you adjust the levers so that they bite beneath your knuckles?

·
Executive User - UK
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This years levers engage the pads much sooner than last years model.
The power is also significantly increased, although this has new sintered pads, discs and goodridge hoses fitted so maybe not a fair comparison. The power is easily applied and modulated by one finger. I havent messed with the lever positioning just yet - but will when Im next out, perhaps Thursday.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That sounds great, I put my name down on a set earlier today with Propel. Had 'em weighing the carbon R1 replacement rotors for me haha. 4g saving for £170, I passed up that offer.

I have a feeling the power will not have increased that much over this year, however due to the new lever design and feel the power is more noticeable and useable due to the solid lever feel.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I imported mine last November.

I've had a couple more rides on them, the lever does feel better than the 09's, not sure about more power.

BTW I'm using the R1 mix master as well, I'll post some photos.

·
Registered
121 Posts
dreednya said:
dhpete93 - Have Propel got them in then? I'm interested in the One MY10 and live in the UK, but have not yet seen them for sale anywhere.
Should be sending the latest batch out next week, but they're struggling to meet demands still.

I doubt they'll deal direct, as they're a distributor. Seems the best option is to import a set and save cash whilst you're at it!

·
Executive User - UK
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im guessing you could make up a brake hose to allow it all to connect up but I wouldnt have a clue if the MC is compatible with the Oro caliper. I know some people ran the 09 R1 levers with 09 One calipers ok but that obviously isnt your intended setup. Speak to the distributor - they'll be able to help you. Toby at propel in the UK is a good contact if you are in the UK.

OOC - why would you want to use Oro calipers? Just curious......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.