Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up my dream bike & can't decide on the brakes. Obviously the list price ($360) of the RX is appealing but the "Entry Level" description turns me off a bit. Have wanted the R1's for awhile (mostly for weight consideration) but have a hard time dropping $600 on a set of brakes. Middle of the road would be the X2's (with floating rotor & braided hose) which are the same weight as the RX (as I understand it) but look a bit sexier (at $400) & I love my Mono Mini's. Finally, the adjustment of the X2's appeals to me... Can anyone help me out with this conundrum? CHEERS!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why bother with braided hose for a light weight XC brake? Why not wait for the Hope Race brakes due out in a few weeks? Or...why not throw the Magura Marta SL mags into the equation? Even if they are heavier they look nice and can be had for not much more than the retail of the Hope Race brakes.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point on the braided hose- I never really thought about the weight difference, how much is it? I have always just liked the way it looks... Do you have any idea of how much the new Race brake from Hope is going to cost/weigh?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I own the RX's, my wife has Mono Minis, and I've installed and played with the Tech levers (on a pair of M4's for a customer). The "entry level" concern isn't something I'd worry about. You're still getting a sweet pair of Italian made brakes with a great feel. Fit and finish on the Hopes is a little better, IMO. I dig the kind of chunky machined look, but lots of folks like the sleeker look of the Formula's. I can't give any first hand reports on the R1's, never even seen them in person.

It's kind of like how an entry level Turner isn't really an entry level bike, you know? I'd take these over any Avid product (and I've owned a bunch of them), Shimano, Hayes, or anything else in its price range. The R1s would have some stiff competition from the Tech X2s for me, but I'm certainly no weight weenie so that may be something to consider.

·
JustRide44
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great points- I decided to go with the X2's after reading reviews of the modulation & adjustablility from the levers (reach & Pad contact.) Went with the floating roaters & standard black hoses & hope they indeed come in around the advertised 350 grams a side. At the end of the day I think the X2's will work, look better, and 110 grams savings just wasn't worth $210 to me...

Ride on...

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I decided to go with the X2's after reading reviews of the modulation & adjustablility from the levers (reach & Pad contact.)
It's not pad contact, it's bite point adjustment. The adjustment is for the position in the lever's travel where the pads' contact with the rotor is felt. It doesn't alter the position of the pads.

·
Registered
863 Posts
rooster44 said:
Great points- I decided to go with the X2's after reading reviews of the modulation & adjustablility from the levers (reach & Pad contact.) Went with the floating roaters & standard black hoses & hope they indeed come in around the advertised 350 grams a side. At the end of the day I think the X2's will work, look better, and 110 grams savings just wasn't worth $210 to me...

Ride on...
smart buy...you'll love them:thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not claimed, actual... I've weighted mine, almost exactly 350g :eek:)

Get some Rx's, you won't regret it. IMHO the R1's aren't any better in function than the Rx's and cost WAY more for only a modest weight saving.

·
Registered
310 Posts
hello guys,

I am considering the RX as well. Do you guys believe that I can have a lighter set if I purchase the 2 piece rotor set, which apparently comes with titanium bolts.

I am looking for brake set around the 330g area, so I also looked at Elixir CR mags.

I went to speedgoat and I can get the RX with the 2piece rotor, adapter and hardware for $430, but I can also get the Elixir Mags for $450. Basically, which way should I take? Can you guys give me a hand on taking my decision.

·
Registered
214 Posts
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy the 2-piece rotor set, I had them and sold those useless rattly pieces of rubbish long ago. Not to be too harsh, but they offer sweet F-A weight savings and have play in them when braking, NOT worth it. The R1 aluminium rotor is perfect, still superlight, only 9-12g heavier than 2-piece if I remember right, look wicked and NO play. As for heat dissipation, the std R1 alloy rotors haven't overheated on me yet.
As for Formula Vs Avid, both excellent brakes, IMHO I love the Formula brakes as they stay consistent whereas my experience with Avids is they wear out quick, but as I say just MHO. You won't regret the Formula Rx, get 'em bought!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
humdinger said:
.............but they offer sweet F-A weight savings and have play in them when braking, NOT worth it. The R1 aluminium rotor is perfect, still superlight, only 9-12g heavier than 2-piece if I remember right, look wicked and NO play. As for heat dissipation, the std R1 alloy rotors haven't overheated on me yet.......
I agree with everything said above, except for the R1 aluminum rotor part. It's a steel rotor, but it is very light, ~ 88g IIRC for the 160mm version.

Get the 'regular steel' R1 rotors, which are much cheaper too. Also, Ti bolts for your rotors f/r will only save you ~ 12g IIRC (just weight your steel bolts, Ti are ~ 1/2 weight). Doing the brake bolts in Ti isn't usually worth it, unless you are going totally weight weenie.....but then you'd be buying the R1's, not the RX's. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pad Wear

Most people would have a lot less pad wear if they learned how to use their brakes more effectively. It is lot like skiing wear you control your speed with a gentle brake action.

Having said that if you are going to ride your bike, you are going to wear out pads. Brakes that are stronger, create more heat and wear out pads more quickly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i am aware that pads do have to wear obviously, but i am not willing to have a set of brakes that wear out the pads every ten rides or so....many people report that....thats why i asked...

·
Registered
342 Posts
humdinger said:
DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy the 2-piece rotor set, I had them and sold those useless rattly pieces of rubbish long ago. Not to be too harsh, but they offer sweet F-A weight savings and have play in them when braking, NOT worth it. The R1 aluminium rotor is perfect, still superlight, only 9-12g heavier than 2-piece if I remember right, look wicked and NO play. As for heat dissipation, the std R1 alloy rotors haven't overheated on me yet.
As for Formula Vs Avid, both excellent brakes, IMHO I love the Formula brakes as they stay consistent whereas my experience with Avids is they wear out quick, but as I say just MHO. You won't regret the Formula Rx, get 'em bought!
Totally agree. I hate the 2 piece rotors. I got suckered into buying those but they are way too much trouble! The rivets sticking out make for even less clearance too, and they bend super easily. And in 160mm. the one piece rotors only weight about 2 grams more, not 9-12 grams!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the same problems with the 2-piece rotors, especially the 180 mm version. No experience on my own, but I keep hearing that the 2 piece Hope rotors are better.

Other than that, my R1 rock. Really powerful.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.