Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this is a question that should and probably will be posted on the brakes forum but here it is. Is anyone riding the Formula R1's yet. Scott specs them so I am sure at least some people are riding them. I know that the Oro's are awesome but haven't seen many people yet riding the R1's. Opinions please! They are the lightest brakes so very ligit for the weight weenies forum. Thanks.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
i hear some complaints of rattling sounds of the floating discs...just similar to the floatings of the Hopes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Using R1's on a Spark Limited - generally very good, but as Nino says you do get the pads dragging on the rotors sometimes and for no obvious reason. Could be down to the user (ie me!) but with XTR you get more lever travel so I guess the pads have that fraction of a mm extra gap to the rotor which could stop annoying noises. Only problem so far is getting spares, even pads, but this is gradually starting to improve. Power very good, even with one finger braking.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Wouldn't ANY brake drag slow you down more than a 50-80 gram weight drop would speed you up? Am I just trying to make myself feel good about buying XTR brakes when I knew these were coming out soon?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree - just got back from a ride with the front brake binding! It may be the Formula "one size fits all" pads pending getting a proper set of R1s, but rolling without brakes is certainly faster than lighter brakes dragging. You have no reason to feel bad - I had a feel of my old style XTR levers yesterday and prefer the extra travel/more positive feel. It may just be that my Formulas need more fettling, but I am a riding and not a fettling type of rider.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
I'm keeping an eye on this cuz the XTRs replaced a set of Formula B1 SLs that lasted many years but didn't feel great, needed frequent bleeding, and didn't have much power (they did run drag free though).
My main reason for choosing the XTRs was the claim that their pads sit farther from the discs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
On a semi-related note....

I'm running Oro-Puros, and I find them to be a lot spongier that most other hydro brakes. I have the FCS set to the hardest setting, but it's still quite spongy.

1. Is this just the way all Formulas feel? I know they're famous for the modulation. Mine were installed by the only Formula dealer (and service center) in this country, so I would assume it's not a bad bleed.

2. Do R1's feel similar (sponginess)? I'm thinking about getting some and moving the Puros to my other bike, but if they have the same feel, I think I want to try something else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I own both oro puro, and R1 brakes(magnesium lever and steel rotor).

Modulation on puro is better then R1. The R1 has an more on or off braking. The original brake pads from R1 didn't work very well at my bike, I replaced them with swiss-stop, which gave me much more breakpower.

I love R1 and also I still love my puro. If you would only look at braking performance my vote is for the puro's.(marathon in mountains)

If you are looking for a light XC-brake buy the R1's, they are so light and performance is also good

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
I also have both, in fact, I just took the Puros off and put the R1 on my bike yesterday but no ride time yet, they do feel less spongy than the Puros (which, yes, can feel a bit too spongy for my tastes too although it never actually bothered me while riding).

I have one negative point so far though, installing per the manual with the right adaptor (everything is stock, Formula adaptors and bolt kit), the front brake pads hit the rivets of the R1 2-piece rotors... but not the rear one. I put some spacers between the IS adaptor and the caliper and it now seems okay but I thought it was odd. I didn't fine tune the alignement since something came up but I'll have to double check the setup and compare with another adaptor to see if it's an out of specs one...

The R1 look stunning compared to the Puros, much lighter too, the lines are more flexible which I like, the Puro's braided hose were very stiff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After about 200km with R1's on my 2007 Epic, I'm perfectly satisfied with them. Nothing to totally fall in love with, but they do outperform my old trusty Juicy threes, as they definitely also should, with that price ;)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Wow, those look nice. I don't like the small Formula pads. I have 2 pairs of Oros on my bikes, and the pads wear too quickly (small scrub area). I like my Mini Pros best, due to excellent pad retraction after 2 years of service. My Oros with 1 yr of service don't retract as well as new, and are more prone to rubbing. Will need a rebuild already.

I run Hope 2 piece rotors, along with many friends. There are no noise issue with them.

The R1 sure seem like to WW brake to beat.

For performance, I like the Hayes Stroker. They're heavy, but man do they work well. The pad area is also huge. Hope Mini X2 for the win.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have had R1's on my 29er for about 1000km. Beautiful brakes. No noise issues or binding/rubbing at all. Just the usual Formula "bzzz" when braking hard. Great Sound! I have a set of Oro K24's on another bike - still going strong, but the R1's are just awesome. Very powerful - they are way inboard of my shifters and I never need more than my forefinger. Had an overheating issue on one very long, very steep downhill section in a recent stage race. It was the front brake, 160mm rotor, and being 92kg, I should probably use a 180mm on the 29er wheel. The ambient temp was about 30 degrees C. Otherwise no problems. Way better than the noisy/squealing set I took off (Avid Elixirs - I always seem to end up with noisy Avids!)
2 other riders have them in our club here in South Africa, including my wife. Both very happy. Unbeatable for XC

1 - 20 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.