Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't have the IRA kit, but have taken apart my R1 levers.

To add the IRA kit, you only need to disassemble as far as removing pushrod 11 by removing circlip 21 in the attached image:

a.jpg

Once 11 is removed, replace with the new pushrod in the IRA kit while being careful to not let the upstream components also eject from the master cylinder since they are under spring tension. Also be sure to put the right pieces back together to make sure circlip 21 again prevents the entire assembly from falling apart under the spring tension once reassembled.

You may need to bleed afterwards depending on if you get everything perfect on the first try. Having a 3rd hand or putting the master cylinder in a padded vice may help get it right the first time since you'll need to deal with the spring tension as soon as the circlip is removed. Using an actual circlip tool may be very helpful for this since space is tight and under spring tension. I used a tool exactly like this:
Amazon.com: TEKTON 3578 8-in-1 Universal Snap Ring Pliers Set: Power & Hand Tools
which Harbor Freight stocks. I found the tool end piece which has a 45 degree angle to be perfectly situated for this procedure.

I ended up adding the FCS which gives about 6mm of difference between the lever and grip when measured at the end of the lever. Many reviews of FCS indicate they "don't do enough to notice", but I found the change was sufficient to solve my issue.

If you are looking to save weight, somebody makes custom shorter pushrods which replace the IRA kit with a non-adjustable but shorter lever throw:
Formula the One/ R1/ RO magic push rod For Sale
You can find this by googling "magic Push Rod to bring lever closer to the handle bars"-- it used to be found more often on ebay.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey ca_rider, thanks so much for the info.

I have bought a set of snap ring pliers like the ones you suggested to help ease the swap.

FCS is going to be my next purchase, and thankfully they look like a easy fit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yep the FCS just take a few minutes to install. By first installing them into the lever then filling the void with fluid before adding the hose, I was stoked they didn't need to be bled afterwards. Considering that all they do is add a bit more volume to the hose after seating the pistons, over the long-term they worked a lot better than I expected. You can still get them for <$40 each with free shipping from Art's Cyclery with their 15% off coupon although that still seems expensive for how simple they actually are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts