Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what it's worth, I ride Juicy 7's. They've worked great for me for many years. I haven't ever thought of replacing them.

I just got back from Outerbike where I got to ride a lot of bikes. I really wasn't there to evaluate brakes, but I did ride a couple of bikes with Formula R1 brakes and they really stood out to me. I'm not one to nitpick components a lot. All the other brakes on the other bikes were fine. It's just somehow the R1's really impressed me. I'm sure some of it is personal preference, but they just fit right (I have relatively small hands) and had real nice modulation.

I've got no plans of replacing something that's not broke, but my next bike will have Formula R1's or something very similar.

·
Registered
517 Posts
R1's are great, but

The One's are even better. With great modulation (control), there is no such things as too much braking power. They weigh about an ounce more.
Lots of great brakes, but (IMO) Formula's are just better.
Cheers,

Kane

ps. I couldn't ride because of forearm tendonitis and when I switched to Formula I got rid of the forearm pain and came to appreciate ONE FINGER BRAKING!!:thumbsup:

·
Rohloff
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've also heard some awesome things about The One's. Any issues with fade? I'm looking for a new set of brakes for my sunday.
I didn't push the R1s long and hard enough to comment on fade, but I really doubt it would be a problem. The Ones should be even better. Brakes have gotten sooooo good. Even my moderately rated Juicy 7s on my XC bike have given me zero problems on some of the longdownhill runs I've done on trails like The Whole Enchilada.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I've been running The Ones on my 29'er WFO for about a year now. They just flat out work. I bought them after spending coin in 2009 on a set of Formula MeGa's, which are kind of baby TheOnes.

Setting Formula's up takes some shimming on both sides, I use thickness gauges on one side, usually a .005" to .008" feeler gauge, cinch it down, a little on each side, 3 or 4 x to up the torque, and it's good to go.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I have never had a brake that I could feather to the edge of skidding , and release, for maximum braking effect, until I got my Formula MeGa's. After riding with MeGa's on my RIP, it was a given that my WFO would get MeGa's or TheOnes. Great brakes will save you from other breaks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My 2011 Formula R1's were installed tonight, AMAZING brakes!!!!! I have to say, these are worth every penny. The cardboard box they come in weighs MORE than the brakes themselves!! I'm not kidding, my shop actually weighed them. They are beautifully made, and stop amazingly well. Lever feel is like nothing I've ever used. Modulation is perfect. The rotors are beautifully made. worth every penny guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any tips on getting the R1's dialed, I can't seem to get the rear to stop rubbing? Rotors are brand new and straight.

Front works great. I have been on Forumula Oro Puros for years and got the R1's for my new bike. PS I love them, they are light, powerful and modulate well, only a few rides so far. Just can't get the rear to stop rubbing. Only complaint is lever reach for my small hands, they don't seem to adjust in as far as Oro Puro's.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Any tips on getting the R1's dialed, I can't seem to get the rear to stop rubbing? Rotors are brand new and straight.

Front works great. I have been on Forumula Oro Puros for years and got the R1's for my new bike. PS I love them, they are light, powerful and modulate well, only a few rides so far. Just can't get the rear to stop rubbing. Only complaint is lever reach for my small hands, they don't seem to adjust in as far as Oro Puro's.
Check for end play in the wheel bearings front and rear first, especially if you are not running a new wheelset with these brakes.

I usually set my The Ones up with an .005" feeler gauge on one side while snugging the bolts that hold the brakes on gently 3 or 4x each, gradually going up on the amount of torque.

·
Registered
344 Posts

The rubbing thing with the R1s is really frustrating.

I've had them for about a year and a half - they are obviously light, and very powerful. But I've never liked the (lack of) modulation, and they have been noisy since day one, despite trying 3 different pad types. But the nail in the coffin is the tiny amount of pad clearance compared to other brakes.

I recently replaced the R1s on my main bike with new XTR Trails, and they are worlds better IMHO.

I now have the R1s on a snow bike, so if anyone can tell me how to gain a little pad clearance, I'd be hugely grateful.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.