Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,
New to the forum! :)

It was time to replace the pads on my Formula R1's.
The red tool that came with them stripped the head from the retaining bolt and now I can't get the bloody thing out.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

How did you get around it?

Looking like I'll have to saw the bolt to get the pads out, then twist the bolt out with a pair of small mole grips or pliers.. Bit of a pain.

Also I've found the retaining bolts online, but at £10 a pop I was wandering if there are any other ways of keeping the pads in place?
Thick bit of wire perhaps..?

Staines are creeping up fast, so I would be grateful for any help!!

Cheers,
Joe

·
Magically Delicious
12,469 Posts
Given the size of the bolt, cutting through it and following through with what you have address would certainly work and might be the best way to go. The bolt might be a tad small for the use of an extractor. I dunno if they make them small enough for that size bolt, but your original idea might be the simple way out.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Can you use a Dremel to make a cut in the bolt head. That way you can salvage the bolt and remove it with a screwdriver.

Brakes are too important to be messing with. If that dsnt work I'd say fork over the money.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
If the head is still on the stripped bolt, there's a tool for this situation and can be purchased at the hardware store. It's made specifically to remove stripped screw or bolts. The tip looks like a edged corkscrew, and is wound such that it bites into the stripped head when you turn it counterclockwise. If this is an "extractor," then do they really come only in sizes too large?

I also like the above idea of dremeling a groove into the head, to make it accessible with a flathead screwdriver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.