Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my R1's yesterday. When I spread the brake pads apart with a plastic shim, brake fluid leaks from the top of the master cylinder on both front and rear brakes (picture of location below).

The fluid would leak from one of the 4 holes seen above. Has anyone experienced this before? If you have, what was the solution? I called FormulaBrakeUSA and left a message since they're closed today.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, mine did and a few others did that. Apparently it happened in the early 2009 batch which has since been fixed. People reportedly sent them to formula and they were fixed. I have yet to do so, but don't anticipate any problems as formula service is top notch.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Civil. I'll wait for a response from FormulaBrakeUSA.

·
bike junkie
156 Posts
Same as civil. I just got mine back from Formula USA and they were repaired free of charge. They did change the lever from the Mg lever though to Al. Said some of the Mg levers were having problems. Good people.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
c-record said:
Same as civil. I just got mine back from Formula USA and they were repaired free of charge. They did change the lever from the Mg lever though to Al. Said some of the Mg levers were having problems. Good people.
how long did it take? I've been waiting until riding season was over......but now I'm just procrastinating :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
+1

Put my brand new set of R1's on my bike this weekend. After a couple minutes of messing with the lever angle and reach and seeing how they felt I noticed fluid dripping out from behind the rear MC.

Freaked out and looked it up here and this was the first thread I saw.

They're headed back to Formula today. So far they've been really easy to work with and have promised a fast turn around.

Still not happy about this. I have K24's and Puro's and have been very happy with them and now this. :madman:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do all of these brakes wind up leaking like this. Also those of you who have gotten your brakes back from Formula....Did the leak completely stop?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Formula Brake USA has my brakes now. They seem to be working on a same-day turnaround time. I requested next day shipping to return the brakes to me. Should have them back in my hands tomorrow. Onetrack, I'll be able to report on your second question by then.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
david8613 said:
what exactly is causing the leaking?
Seems like defective caps. They had to be replaced on mine. Charlie from Formula Brake USA received mine today, squared them away and sent them off. I should have them tomorrow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Charlie from Formula Brake USA came through! I got the brakes back today and re-installed them. Charlie included a Formula t-shirt. :) Here's the new cap:

·
bike junkie
156 Posts
Mine have been fine though I haven't ridden much yet.

Side note: I just got my The Ones trimmed down for my 29er and they look really good so far. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Charlie at Formula took care of me as well. Turnaround was quick. Brakes are mounted up and so far no issues. Since I live in Minnesota I've got a little time yet but the way I noticed the leaking in the first place was by mounting them in the garage and squeezing the levers...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just went for a ride and had both brakes (R-1) leak fluid onto the bars. Unfortunately the bars are Truvative Noir riser bars and the carbon fiber is already blistered. Brakes and bars, I'm not pleased. Did I miss a recall ?

·
Registered
603 Posts
No recall issued. Problem has been occuring with my (and other users) R1 too. New R1's are supposedly better (redesigned membrane).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts