Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
99 YARDS
181 Posts
The ORO system

bhsavery said:
Anyone tried them? I'm particularly interested how they compare to Juicy's
I don't know how they compare to the Juicy's. What I can say is that they are very easy to set up. Like any hydraulic system they work GREAT. Ive used disk brakes since 1996 and I can say that these are Light and real Powerfull, not to mention that they look real cool.

·
No. Just No.
5,355 Posts
Interesting question given that Formula made the Juicy 7's at first under contract from Avid, until Avid eventually moved production elsewhere. One might assume that Formula had something to do with aspects of the Juicy design also, given that at that point Formula had much more experience with hydraulic brake design than Avid. Having owned 2 different models of Formula brakes, and a set of Juicy's, I wasn't at all surprised when I learn this - the Formulas and Avids both had similar characteristics in many ways.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Circlip said:
Interesting question given that Formula made the Juicy 7's at first under contract from Avid, until Avid eventually moved production elsewhere. One might assume that Formula had something to do with aspects of the Juicy design also, given that at that point Formula had much more experience with hydraulic brake design than Avid. Having owned 2 different models of Formula brakes, and a set of Juicy's, I wasn't at all surprised when I learn this - the Formulas and Avids both had similar characteristics in many ways.
Matt, did ya hear who's now making the Juicys for Avid? I wonder who makes their cable disc brakes?

·
No. Just No.
5,355 Posts
Mike T. said:
Matt, did ya hear who's now making the Juicys for Avid? I wonder who makes their cable disc brakes?
I dunno emTea. :confused: Perhaps once Avid had pulled some R&D out of Formula (who were probably using their design knowledge as leverage to get the manufacturing contract) then Avid could take the specs just about anywhere for production, in house or otherwise? So long as you don't skimp on the production methods and control, it's not usually rocket science to make duplicates of widgets that already work from a design standpoint.

All non-verifiable commentary from an outsider perspective, of course...

·
603 Posts
Any new ORO riders out there?

Anybody have any more ride reports or info on the new ORO's?

Thanks,

Porch

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
You should check out Universalcycles.com

I'm looking for new brakes for my Burner,and I see that Universalcycles.com had K-24's for around a $175 a wheel,which isn't bad...They're almost as light as the Puro Oro's 351grms vs.390grms,and use the same design,just less bling..Hope that helps ya...Peace & happy trails....................... :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those K-24s look REALLY nice for $179. They weigh about the same as a set of Hope Mono Minis, but they should be easier to set up initially, and they are adjustable on the fly. Now Formula needs to start selling carbon fiber levers seperatly for those of us that are suckers for that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I checked!!

Hosehead said:
Those K-24s look REALLY nice for $179. They weigh about the same as a set of Hope Mono Minis, but they should be easier to set up initially, and they are adjustable on the fly. Now Formula needs to start selling carbon fiber levers seperatly for those of us that are suckers for that kind of stuff.
It will have to be a custom carbon lever, because the 'puro' carbon lever is not compatible with the K24. Almost all of the other parts are interchangeable. I prefer carbon for cold weather comfort, otherwise I'm indifferent.

Cheers,

Kane

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
zkampyman said:
It will have to be a custom carbon lever, because the 'puro' carbon lever is not compatible with the K24. Almost all of the other parts are interchangeable. I prefer carbon for cold weather comfort, otherwise I'm indifferent.

Cheers,

Kane
Well, actually the carbon levers are compatible with both the K18 and K24, We even offer the K24 Carbon as an option to some of our OE customers, such as Commencal and Lapierre. If you are interested in an aftermarket upgrade, you must simply purchase the carbon lever kit from the Puro and it comes with everything you need to add a little more flavor to either your K18's or K24's.

Chris

·
Registered
162 Posts
Formula Brake USA said:
Well, actually the carbon levers are compatible with both the K18 and K24, We even offer the K24 Carbon as an option to some of our OE customers, such as Commencal and Lapierre. If you are interested in an aftermarket upgrade, you must simply purchase the carbon lever kit from the Puro and it comes with everything you need to add a little more flavor to either your K18's or K24's.

Chris
Does that go for the brake line as well? ie, can I buy the Kevlar line from Puro and install it on the K18/K24 after the fact?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I'm gonna ask this question even tho I know what to expect from you. How does the Oro work under long DH high speed races....for the average riders? Compare this to other brakes out there, ie: Hayes. I have the Mags and am on the verge of buying new brakes even tho I really like the ones I currently like them.

Don't appeal to Greg Minnar and his expirience since he probably doesn't even use his brakes. Pro rides don't ride like normal people....they are completely off the brake the whole time.

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
wyrm said:
I'm gonna ask this question even tho I know what to expect from you. How does the Oro work under long DH high speed races....for the average riders? Compare this to other brakes out there, ie: Hayes. I have the Mags and am on the verge of buying new brakes even tho I really like the ones I currently like them.

Don't appeal to Greg Minnar and his expirience since he probably doesn't even use his brakes. Pro rides don't ride like normal people....they are completely off the brake the whole time.
Wyrm,
Thanks for your interest. As you noted everyone has a different style of braking...the better ones (Greg Minnaar would obviously fall into this category) will tend use their brakes less frequently, but more intensely, as they are generally more comfortable at high speeds and limit their brake use to just before entering a turn to shed some speed. For most average riders the reality is quite different, as brakes are often used even on the straights if the rider feels like they are getting out of their comfort zone with regards to speed. However, the need for good powerful and consistent braking doesn't change regardless of if you are a pro or a weekend warrior.

Here are my honest impressions on longer, braking intensive DH runs I have taken at places like Whistler and Downieville:

-First off I can say that the Oro has less fade and experiences less "heat induced pump-up" than any other brake I have ridden. There are a several factors that play into this including the vented caliper, high quality fluid, and rotor design.

-Power wise I noted that the brake maintains a more consistent feel on DH runs when the system is kept relatively warm. As opposed to say riding cross-country where the system might heat up and the cool down completely before it is used again. This is true with many of the better brakes I have ridden.

-Modulation: I believe one of the best features of the Oro is the great modulation. On longer DH runs I feel like I have a lot more control of the amount of power I want to apply. One of the reasons for the good modulation is the organic pad compound we use on the Oro. The organic compounds tend to be a bit softer than the metallic (sintered) and IMHO seem to deliver better modulation. One drawback to the organic material is that is does wear a bit faster than the sintered. This could be more evident if you are the type of rider who uses their brakes a lot and favors long DH runs. Not to worry for all you sintered fans...we will have sintered pads available in the next few months.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. If you want any more info please feel free to contact us. Our info can be found at either one of our web sites:
www.formulabrakeusa.com
www.formula-brake.com

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
518 Posts
Formula Brake USA said:

Any prices for carbon lever kit for the Puro?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.