Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I was cleaning my Formula Bianco pistons the other day and managed to pop one out a bit far causing some fluid to leak out. This isn't too much of a problem, I kinda half expected it might do that and accept it as part of learning about the brake, just the problem now is that the brake doesn't operate correctly as the lever now moves nearly all the way to the bar. Obviously they need additional fluid and a proper bleeding now.

OK so I have a bleed kit on order which I should have soon. My main question is whether the simple syringe-at-the-lever method will be sufficient to remove any possible air bubbles from down in the caliper itself? Would any air normally travel out of the caliper and upto the lever naturally?

Another question is what is the small Allen key fitting in the caliper banjo for? I only see those at the caliper end. Is it for flushing fluid through the system or something? If I top up the stock DOT4 fluid with a different brand should things be fine, or should I be looking to flush them out fully?

Just some questions before I dive on em. I'm pretty good at most things mechanical though am not familiar with the ins and outs of hydraulic brakes. I have the manual though at a glance it doesn't appear to mention these details.

·
whistler
221 Posts
the 2 syringe method is easy.
any DOT 4 or 5 fluid will work. 5 has a higher boiling point and may give slightly less fade on long downhill's.
attach 1 half-full syringe to the caliper (that what the T10 bolt on the banjo is for - be sure to collect the tiny o-ring that will fall out).
attach the other empty syringe to the lever.
hold the lever closed (to isolate the caliper by closing the master cylinder) while you bleed the caliper first.
then open the lever and bleed the line (push some fluid into the lever syringe).
now close the caliper (be sure to put the o-ring in front of the bolt).
finish the lever by bleeding with the syringe upright (ie. unbolt the lever and hold upright).
replace the lever bolt, spray with tons of brake cleaner, and bob's your uncle!

·
Registered
49 Posts
One thing I would add is that when finished bleeding and you are disconnecting the first of the two syringes you should pinch-close the tube to the second syringe to keep fluid from flowing into that syringe with gravity and sucking in air, or flowing out of that syringe and making a mess at the open end as you're closing the T10 screw.

I didn't see this mentioned in the Formula bleed kit manual, which is kind of out of date and cryptic in English. Thankfully The One's brakeset manual is fantastic in English.

clarkalewis said:
attach the other empty syringe to the lever.
hold the lever closed (to isolate the caliper by closing the master cylinder) while you bleed the caliper first.
By "bleeding the caliper" you mean just gently sucking fluid out of the caliper and releasing it back in to move air bubbles out into the syringe? Wouldn't it be better to start with 10mL of fluid in that syringe?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help chaps it's been insightful. I guess the bleed kit will have proper instructions included too as mentioned here, just seems odd the Formula manual here doesn't mention anything about the 2nd syringe at the caliper end (chapter 2.5 "Air bubble removal" talks only of 1 syringe only at the lever). Things are making a lot more sense now, and now I know why the kit includes 2 syringes (I was thinking one might be a spare or something? :D).

Hopefully it'll all go well, cheers. :thumbsup:

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
Hey Guys,
Our bleed process is different than that of our competition!!!!! It is important to follow our instructions specifically to get a good bleed on the brakes.

EmanResu, can you please email me at [email protected], or better yet call us in the office at 707 765.2770 and I will get you set up with the correct instructions for what you need to do.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is bleeding process for The one/Mega the same as for Oro? Chris it would be nice if you could write it here, so also others can se instructions and you don't have to answer hundreds emails. Maybe admin could make a how-to sticky.
What do you think about instructions that came with brakes or the one that are on Formula web page? Are they ok? I haven't read them yet, because my brakes have been great so far, but it would be nice to know where to look for instructions when I'll need them.

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
Hey Guys,
We are trying to get some of that stuff together....videos and what not.

The reason I asked to email is so that I can just send the PDF of the bleed instructions. It is that easy.

As Snakes mentioned, also the instructions on the Formula Italy web page are obviously what we recommend using. The instructions found in the owners manuals are only for bubble removal after hose shortening and are also good, but not what the OP was asking for.

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Formula Brake USA said:
Oh yea...the Oro and ONE/Mega bleed process is the same.

Cheers,

CC
Chris, do you recommend a particular dot 4 brake fluid? I have a set of MEGAs that I'm getting ready to trim hoses on and bleed. Thanks.

PS: the instructions in the ONE/MEGA manual are really easy to follow.

·
Pain Incorporated
121 Posts
I'm going to have to try to bleed my brakes again tomorrow... I tried at them tonight and popped out my caliper piston and made a mess of my basement. I didn't realize there was a "two stage" bleed as mentioned above - something i'll have to try tomorrow evening.

Any links on a how to bleed The One ?

·
STINKY TOFU
366 Posts
Chris, I have the avid bleed kit which has two of the same adapters that fit the lever body. Will this adapter work on the caliper port, or is that different then the lever body?

·
Registered
157 Posts
They will fit. I bled my Mega brake, which is the same as One, with Avid kit yesterday and it worked OK. Just watch that you don't lose tiny O-ring that is in the caliper!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've just got a set of Formula The One's and both front and rear don't work out of the box due to the fact they have so much air in them. A m8's just got a set and they are the same - which really asks what QC formula do - thats 4 out of 4 out of the box that are unuseable until bled - one isn't too bad tbh but it ramps up and airlocks pretty quickly.
Yes you often have to bleed brakes but they normally function ok these are totally useless.

If you degass the oil by putting it under vacuum or in an ultrasonic bath and bleed the brakes then they should work pretty much indefinitely - there is so much air in 3 of the 4 units that this clearly has not been done in the factory.

Another issue i've got is my front brakes only came with a partial kit for shortening - it's only got the olive and the bolt - the push in connector with the o-ring is missing from the bag which is unopened. The kit was totally missing from the rear - my m8 at least got the full kit in both boxes so I know whats missing.

I've contacted Formula Europe but i'm not getting any response :( .

I've been trying to get hold of the Bleed kit but everywhere in the UK seems to be out of stock - i'll try to find a Juicy kit instead or have to fork out for my LBS to do it.

Just a small point and i'm being a bit picky but the bleed instructions says "create pressure by pulling.." which could be misunderstood as your actually pulling a vacuum not pressurising the unit.

Must say the brakes do look nice with great built quality, just a shame to let this down with what is clearly weak QC procedures at both post manufacture and packing stages.

Hopefully Formula will get back to me and send me the missing components.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.