Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market for some new brakes. I had basically narrowed my search down to Formula The One or Avid Code. That was until I found the Mega. Now I'm back to square one.

What is the advantage of The One vs Mega?
Are the Mega comparable to Avid Codes?

The One and Mega both use the same levers and master cylinder. The only small advantage I can see of The One is the tool less lever adjustment.

The One is a single forged caliber, Mega is not. Both use the same size piston. I assume they both take the same size pad.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks.

G

·
Go with the ones if you can afford them. Straight up the best. Mega=less expensive. You get what you pay for.

Now if you want a ton of stopping power and you want to bleed your brakes every thursday, get the codes.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have two pairs of "The ones" and they are the best brake I have ever had. My buddy HAD 2008 codes and once he road my bike a few times he sold the codes and bought "The Ones." He couldn't be happier

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Go with the Ones, I run them and I'm a big dude >300 lbs, perfect modulation and extreme power when you need it. You brake super late with these.

I was in the same position, deciding between Ones and Mega.

The only advantage to the Mega is a slightly lower price.

With the Ones you get a one piece caliper which = more stiffness which = more power. And they're lighter. Plus they look hella blinged out in black and gold :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Go for the Mega if you are on a budget and the Ones for (a little) less weight and a tool free adjuster and a forged one piece caliper.
Go for the Codes is you don't mind a fair bit of extra weight,I didn't get on with them at all tbh.
I sold my codes for the Formula, now that is all I run.

·
eci
2,712 Posts
there is very little difference between the mega and the one. the main difference is the tool free adjuster and a few grams of weight.

i went with the megas because i dont want the adjuster out there to break off. i have had them for 1 race and 3 riding weekend and they frikin rock

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
The adjuster that you get with the One's over the Mega's isn't really THAT critical. It makes way less of a difference than the other adjuster does, and I believe you can do it with a tool anyway.

Codes bite. Formulas have always been nothing short of awesome.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
i got the mega slightly more stoping power but slightly mo weight(grams). with that in mind i went with next size down rotors(i am trying to keep my bike lighter).

same thought about not breaking off the adjuster. i tend to hit rocks/trees down low on the bike.

formula brakes are soooooo smooth and lever modulation is way better. also your hands won't get tired as much(think all day at whistler).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.