Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question. I've been spending the winter upgrading my mojo sl to higher end stuff and replaced the XT brakes with Formula Oro Puro's. The first thing I noticed is that compared to the XT's I'm used to the pads engage later in the lever travel on the puros. Is this a trait of formula brakes?

I have shortened the back line and did a full bleed on that one and they feel the same, I have yet to ride with them seeing as how it's -25 windchills outside however they seem like they'd locke up either wheel no problem, just want to make sure they're ok.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Formula Ones also have a longer lever travel. One way to shorten the stroke is to remove the wheel and squeeze the lever a couple times to move the pads in. Once the wheel is put back the lever pull will be less. This is the method Formula has recommended on this board. Obviously you can only set the pads so close before you get rubbing.

Once I had the pads set closer I did a bleed, although it's not necessary.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep - it's just the way they are. Removing the wheel and squeezing the lever will move the pistons in a little but this effect is soon lost as the pads wear. I do this before most rides.

If the lever is firm at the bite point there's no need to bleed the brakes.

·
So is your face
569 Posts
The initial feel of the lever is soft. It's just the way they are. However, the brakes are extraordinarily powerful. They are true one finger brakes. You'll see, once you can get out and ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.