Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions regarding the Formula K24 hose trimming.

1. If you trim the hose do you need to use new fittings? Can you reuse the existing fittings?
2. Anyone have a complete instruction on how to do it with drawings or pictures preferably?

I downloaded the manual and instruction on the Formula web site but it is too small so it is very hard to read.

Thank you for the help.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
Yes, you will need to use new fittings the old ones are not reusable since the "egg" is designed to crush when it is compressed. There are new fittings included in the box when you buy the brakes. I agree the details on the website are hard to read - try looking at the pdfs on the Italian Formula site, I think they enlarge better. The procedure itself is pretty easy - make sure you use a hose cutter (not a cable cutter) or a new razor blade to cut the hose. Make sure you tighten all the nuts to spec. If you don't, the hose will not connect properly and you will get fluid seeping in the hose casing and a bad lever feel. I found that if you do it all quickly enough and add a drop of DOT fluid to the banjo connection when you reinstall it you typically don't need to bleed the line at the lever end. You can do it anyway to be certain there is no air in the line, but my last trim worked great without having to finish up with bleed treatment.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pdf doc

I got the pdf file from the Formula web site but the drawings are blurred. I want to make sure that I put the fittings in the right order (I'm not a good bike person when it comes to hydraulic brakes). I got an OEM so I don't know if it comes with extra fittings. I might just get an extra fitting anyway in case I screw up. Thanks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No bleed!

I know this thread is a bit old but I just wanted to support cutthroat's trimming advice. I just cut down a k18 hose with no bleed required. Went into it thinking this wouldn't be possible but I soaked the banjo bolt in DOT just in case it would work and it did. First squeeze while riding and the back tire wouldn't lock up...hoping this was just pads needing to bed in I rode around the block a couple times dragging the brake...after that the tire skids easily on pavement with one finger. Can't wait to really get these burned in.

Cheers Cutthroat!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to successfully cut my front hose yesterday without bleeding. At first I thought the front brake need to be bled as I felt that the levers are too soft. After riding around the block, the levers started to firm up a little. Is this normal? Right now there's no leak even though the cut I made on the hose is not very straight but I made sure that I pushed the hose really well on the banjo assembly. So far so good and I really like this brake (K24 white).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.