Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding on these?

How good are those? Any issues that had arose with them?

Why I can only see people riding the K24's or Puro's and not many on the 18's?

Thanks!
Warp

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'd be interested too. THe difference between the 24s is in the adjustable piece on the lever. I don't know if it is for modulation or engagement point. Unless they feel just wrong out of the box, it seem one more item to break or just add cost. THe Puros are the 24s with carbon levers and ti parts.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Can't speak for the 18"s...

but I put a set of K24's on about 3 months ago and couldn't be happier. Very easy to install and set-up, extremely easy to bleed, excellent customer service and they work great. The ability to adjust the contact point so that both levers have the same feel is nice but not necessary. This is similar to the red dial on Juicy's. It does not affect modulation, which is excellent by the way.

Formula has some excellent products with the Oro line and should give the competition headaches. I highly recommend their brakes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I love my K24's,

because they have huge stopping power (180/160), the cost was affordable, they have an excellent reputation for great engineering, and the contact lever is easy to use on the fly vs. the Avid red dial, which looks like it's about to fall off.

The performance is the same between the three models.

The K18's work exactly the same as the K24's without the contact lever. The cost is not that much different between the K24 and the K18 so I popped for the K24. The Oro Puro weighs about 40 grams more and costs about 50% more. But, I've heard that more people buy the oro puro's, go figure!

The pad contact switch is not that big a deal and the internals sans the lever are the same on the K18's and the K24's so don't feel bad if you save some bucks and get the K18's. I like the K18 silver better than the k24 black, but color is a very low priority for me. I fiddle with the contact lever for a few rides and I have it set so that the pad contact is at the same point front vs. rear. I haven't touched it since.

Cheers,

Kane

·
Registered
359 Posts
On order, will let you know...

Well I went ahead and bit the bullet. I had been waiting on a set of Juicy 5s from Blue Sky Cycles, that were advertised as in stock when I took the plunge. I kept checking out the Oros on Cambria's site, and checking the reviews on this site. I finally cancelled my still back ordered, and still listed as in sock on the site Juicys. Cambria wanted to sell me the rotor kit, but when I found the kit on thier site it only listed 200mm. Since I only need the 160, I will have to look elsewhere. Suggestions?

A few questions? Does anyone know what compound is used in the pads on these from the factory? I was thinking about setting them up with the Stans aluminum rotors, which dictate organic, semi-metalic pad material. Apparently the use of sintered metalic is a no go. Second, I would like to pick up a set of replacement pads, and have not seen them about. I realize these are newer systems, and that they will be a little harder to find, so I am trying to be proactive.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isaac Sibson said:
Warp, your status as a magurite is wavering? :p
Not actually... just considering a second option to the Louises.. ;)

Formula is the only other brand I'd consider. They have a reputation of good CS, just like Magura.

K18's are similarly priced as Louises. But it draws my attention to see many buying the K24 and not the K18. Little price difference?

G

·
schwing_ding said:
Well I went ahead and bit the bullet. I had been waiting on a set of Juicy 5s from Blue Sky Cycles, that were advertised as in stock when I took the plunge. I kept checking out the Oros on Cambria's site, and checking the reviews on this site. I finally cancelled my still back ordered, and still listed as in sock on the site Juicys. Cambria wanted to sell me the rotor kit, but when I found the kit on thier site it only listed 200mm. Since I only need the 160, I will have to look elsewhere. Suggestions?

A few questions? Does anyone know what compound is used in the pads on these from the factory? I was thinking about setting them up with the Stans aluminum rotors, which dictate organic, semi-metalic pad material. Apparently the use of sintered metalic is a no go. Second, I would like to pick up a set of replacement pads, and have not seen them about. I realize these are newer systems, and that they will be a little harder to find, so I am trying to be proactive.
Hi -

I would imagine that if you gave them a call, Cambria would be willing to set you up with the right rotor kit, even if they're not listing it on their site.

The stock pads are organic/semi-metallic, so you should be able to use them with the Stan's rotors.

Any shop can order pads for you from us. If you can't find a shop willing to order the pads, give us a call and we'll get you set up.

- Greg

·
Registered
359 Posts
Picked up the 18s, and am quite pleased. Strong, relatively light, no dreaded drag, good modulation. Nice that it includes the kit to cut the lines, and it was relatively easy to do for the first time. Time will tell as to durability, but things look good from the start.

Down side- $50 per wheel for a 160mm rotor kit which includes the following for post mounted forks:
-Rotor
-6x rotor mounting bolts

Rear IS mount adds:
-IS to Post adaptor
-2x 5mm bolts for mounting adaptor between caliper and frame

I think $50 is stretching it for the rear, and rediculous for the front post mount given what is included. I understand why it is done the way it is, just do not agree with the price structure. I don't know if this is the vendor, or MSRP.

This is not meant to be a flame, as I really do like the system, and will point others to it. Since I know the MFR reads this, it is feedback to Formula.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Hi -

I would imagine that if you gave them a call, Cambria would be willing to set you up with the right rotor kit, even if they're not listing it on their site.

The stock pads are organic/semi-metallic, so you should be able to use them with the Stan's rotors.

Any shop can order pads for you from us. If you can't find a shop willing to order the pads, give us a call and we'll get you set up.

- Greg
From what I've seen, "Organic" is one type of pad compound, denoting organic/composite fibers and friction agents, while "semi-metallic" is a compound using a large percentage of metal in the compound.

Organic does not mean semi-metallic.

G

·
Jerk_Chicken said:
From what I've seen, "Organic" is one type of pad compound, denoting organic/composite fibers and friction agents, while "semi-metallic" is a compound using a large percentage of metal in the compound.

Organic does not mean semi-metallic.
Just to clarify, we have two kinds of pads available for the Oro: a fully metallic sintered pad, and an organo-metallic pad. We refer to the latter as organic, but as you point out, there are fully organic brake pads that contain no metal whatsoever. We, however, don't carry a fully organic pad. Our "organic" pads could be more accurately described as organo-metallic, or semi-metallic. They use an organic binder, but do contain some metal.

In any case, they should be compatible with Stan's coated rotors.

Best regards,
Greg

G

·
robdamanii said:
Hey greg,

Changing pads...how on earth do I do that? Does that little screw just unscrew so I can remove the pads? For some reason, my directions have disappeared.

BTW: K24s...rock. Very pleased. :thumbsup:
Glad you're enjoying them!

The pad retaining screw is retained by a little c-clip on the inside. Once you remove that, you just back out the screw, and the pads come out from the back, you don't even have to remove your wheel.

We have more tech info than you can shake a stick at on our US web site: http://formulabrakeusa.com/tech/index.htm

Best regards,
Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.