Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy recently bought a set of K24's & love's 'em. I want to buy a set of Formula's now to, but have a question about the K18 vs. the K24.

Does the pad in the K18 retract as nice as the K24? Reason I ask is, I really like a disc brake pad that isn't setting RIGHT next to the rotor. The K24 seems to have a nice gap, & I like that. I am wondering if the K24 is getting this gap because of the "FCS system". I like to save a buck as much as the next guy & I prefer the black color on the 18's anyway, but not at the expense of a closer pad /ie-pad rub.

So my question is, will the 18's work like the 24's in terms of pad retractment & power, just minus the FCS System, which as I understand it, only effects the lever throw?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
FCS does not affect pad position, only the lever throw.

They should perform similarly. I may be wrong (I am no expert on Formula brakes) but they may have a differently shaped lever or different pad compounds. This would effect the feel/performance.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
K18's and K24's are pretty much identical to one another except for the FCS. And you are right when you say the only thing the FCS changes is the position of the master cylinder piston.

A slightly larger or smaller gap between rotor and pad from one brake of the same brand and model or different models isn't terribly uncommon, thats why the FCS adjusters and Avids contact adjuster came to be. But one thing you might try with yours if you want to try is resetting your pistons, this may widen the gap a bit, or you can get the FCS adjuster as an add on for your brakes pretty reasonably.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have just bought a set of K18's and my first impressions are great. I did notice that the space between the rotor and pad was very small but then once they are bedded in they will be fine. You can buy the FCS kit for something like £6 per brake. I was in the same situation not knowing whether to get K18 or 24 but i figured less fiddling and better looks at a cheaper price . . . Bish bash bosh sold

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a new K18 owner coming from Hayes, which I never had a complaint. Before deciding on K18's I looked over a number of different options and rode bikes equipped with the more common brand offerings. Now that I can compare, the Formula's make everything feel and look cheap in comparison. Great stopping power with little lever effort. Smooth lever actuation allows for easy modulation. Considering the price, I don't think you can get better brakes for 300.00 F/R.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
we've had formula come out and say that you can ad the FCS to K18's. it just requires a bleed. So it's definitely possible to do (quite easily in fact). I'm pretty sure that aside from the FCS, a different plating on the hardware, and the color, K18's are identical to K24's

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Bryguy17 said:
we've had formula come out and say that you can ad the FCS to K18's. it just requires a bleed. So it's definitely possible to do (quite easily in fact). I'm pretty sure that aside from the FCS, a different plating on the hardware, and the color, K18's are identical to K24's
yeah, those are the only differences I've been able to notice also. So why the big price gap? Even if you buy the K18's and then the FCS kit, the difference is what? $50 or more? I just feel like there has to be something else to justify cost difference.

·
Industry Member
287 Posts
Guys,
The castings on the MC body and the caliper halves are the same throughout our ORO line (K18, K24, Bianco and Puro). So an argument could be made that you could convert any of them into any of the others...save for the color or finish. The price, weight and performance differences come down to 4 things:

1. Lever blade shape and material
2. Hose material and banjo/crimp material
3. Pad material and pad backing plate material.
4. Fastener material and plating.

Between the K18 and the K24 there are 2 primary differences aside from the color:

1. The plating on the fasteners and hose crimps: K18 uses zinc finish and K24 uses a nickel finish. While the strength of the fasteners are the same the nickel plating looks much nicer and doesn't corrode as easily as the zinc plating.

2. The K24 has the FCS adjuster and a unique piston which allows it to change the lever contact point, the K18 has a standard piston and a dedicated piston stop where the FCS would be on the K24.

Those are the 2 things which the price difference is attributed to. For some people the additional cost of the FCS and better looks/corrosion resistance of the nickel finish on the fasteners is worth it, while for other more utilitarian folks...the K18 offers a great platform with upgrade options if you are so inclined in the future...

Cheers,

Chris

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I've said it before but it's worth repeating... Formula's service is second to none around here. Simply the best. 7 months of Pure Clyde hammering on my K18's on steep descents, still good as the day I got them. Get the sintered pads when you need to replace your pads, best upgrade going.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The comment about SRAM cs... have you even dealt with them? I needed a new piston, instead they sent me a whole new brake and let me keep the old one.

They've been known to swap Boxxer upper crowns for people.

SRAM has always taken care of me and the shops I've worked at.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I second that for SRAM - I had a Reba that was out of warranty with a leak at the crown stanchion joint, sent it to SRAM for a look, and they replaced the entire uppers, new steerer, stanchions, and dials, overhauled the internals and shipped it back for nothing more than the $5 cost of shipping - their CS was great. Formula's is equally as good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.