Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Formula Cura brakes? I'm currently running XTR M9020 and Saints but I've had enough of Shimano due to their really poor support in the UK.

The UK distributor for Formula are really great guys so I've got no concerns from a support perspective. I'd just like to hear some real world thoughts on the Curas.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
I have being ogling them since last year, I have good experience with my Formula RX, so they caught my attention, but not going to replace my XT while they are at ~250€ for the set .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I tracked Formula US sales to BTI, ordered a front brake hose length, installed it on my Turner RFX then rode ATCA hete in Oakridge. First ride was the proof test and they were more enjoyable than the T1 on the back. I will prolly replace the T1 with the Cura. It performed very well on the 6500' descent.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been running them for a couple of weeks and really impressed so far. Took some adjustment to get my shifter in a comfortable position (no iSpec 2 clamps)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just returned from my annual trip to the Alps. They performed almost as well as my Saints, wasn't lacking but the Saints would probably have taken less effort, however they massively outperformed the guides from previous years.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, still using them. Still loving them. I have just one complaint that I couldn’t find a comfortable position for my XTR shifters, even went back to using my XTR brakes for a while but that didn’t last long as I missed the Cura! The problem is that Formula don’t make an ispec 2 adapter, ispec a/b and Sram yes, but not ispec 2.

I’m now using a Sram adapter with an XX1 shifter on my XTR mech/cranks with no problems.

If you’re already Sram then go for it. If not then still do it but you’ll need to figure out your shifter position carefully.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
not sure, mine are the non-adjustable ones, perhaps the latter series.

I've just sanded the rotors on my R1s, will try them with new pads as one last shot before moving them to another bike or selling them and getting new brakes...probably Cura's...though am also interested in Magura MT Trail Sport....the latest VitalMTB review may have swayed the balance to the Cura's though.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can use ispec b or sram though. I’m using a sram XX1 shifter with an otherwise full XTR setup.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a set of Cura and I can place the xtr shifter where I like it.

However if you want to direct mount an i-spec II shifter, this should connect all pieces.

The Formula adapter seems to provide some rotational adjustment.
The Hope adapter seems to provide some vertical and horizontal adjustment.

Formula to i-spec B adapter:
https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/matchmaker-formula-clamp-shimano-i-spec-b-right-screw/116988.html

Paired with Hope i-spec B to i-spec II adapter:
https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-t...-clamp-for-shimano-xt-xtr-11-speed-91002.html

If you don't already have the i-spec II shifter, it is cheaper to buy just the cover without the clamp:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-xtr-ispec-ii-slm9000i-cover-right-y01u98040/?geoc=US Product Cap Baseball cap Motorcycle accessories Plastic

·
Registered
258 Posts
Bought Cura’s one month ago. Brake feel and power is good, but 203mm rotors at both end was a good choice, otherwise I think the rear brake feel would not be that good. One finger brakes with this power. They are decently light as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quick update:

After two rides I am very happy with the Cura's. Even though they are still bedding in, I have tons of power and modulation is excellent. Coming from Shimano SLX's that have been great over the last year on my hardtail but lack in modulation.

I do have a bit of rotor rub that I can not get rid of (running Shimano XT Icetec rotors). I think the rotors might be a bit too wide. Can anyone running the Formula rotors measure the width and post up?

I weigh 195 lbs, running 180mm rotors f/r on my Yeti 5.5 and the Cura's are a winner in my book. Light weight and all the power and modulation I need.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The UK distributor for Formula are really great guys so I've got no concerns from a support perspective.
I hope Formula continues to support their UK customers.
About a year and a half ago, they dumped support for customers in the USA. No service, no replacement parts. Had to replace with (much heavier) Shimanos.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.