Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went from a rigid fork to a fox and I am running a 180 rotor on my Oro Puro up front. Nobody has a Formula adapter in stock for a 74mm mount to 74mm caliper for a 180 rotor. I do not have much experience working with disc brakes but a local downhill shop suggested using a 185 Avid adapter for a 74 post mount. The shop that is doing the work is questioning whether this is a viable option.
Does anyone know if this will work? It looks like it could but again, I am no expert and the shop I purchased the fork from offered to install it for free so the bike is on their bench and I am at their mercy. I need to get it up and running before thursday so I just need it to work. I can always order a formula adapter when they are back in stock. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
With the Avid adapter the caliper might sit too high on the rotor but you could always carefully grind it down so it sat correctly. Or you could possibly get longer bolts and use washers to position the caliper, then replace them with the correct adapter when you get it? I don't know if this method would cause any harm.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
1speed said:
I recently went from a rigid fork to a fox and I am running a 180 rotor on my Oro Puro up front. Nobody has a Formula adapter in stock for a 74mm mount to 74mm caliper for a 180 rotor. I do not have much experience working with disc brakes but a local downhill shop suggested using a 185 Avid adapter for a 74 post mount. The shop that is doing the work is questioning whether this is a viable option.
Does anyone know if this will work? It looks like it could but again, I am no expert and the shop I purchased the fork from offered to install it for free so the bike is on their bench and I am at their mercy. I need to get it up and running before thursday so I just need it to work. I can always order a formula adapter when they are back in stock. Thanks for the help
Your disc will not be pushed up into the Caliper far enough, only using about 3/4 of the pad.

Did you call Formula USA? They're very responsive, and most likely have the adapter.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
1speed said:
You're located in Boulder? I'm in Loveland and have that adapter in stock. I could throw it in the mail today, or you could drive up if you prefer. Get in touch.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Larry, I dropped you an email. Please let me know if you have the formula adapter and I will be happy to drive up to Loveland.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.