Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mtbr member since 1996
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some of the original B4 brakes that Thorsten was selling when he first started distributing Formula. I've learned he is no longer the distributor, so I've come here. I frankly don't know much about servicing these brakes because, well, they never needed it. Last week I went to ride and found my front brake had leaked (presumably...there was a little bit of oil inside where the rubber bag thing is in the lever) and had zero pressure in it. I did not see any visible leaking, but the oil level was low enough that I got no braking from them (thank goodness Texas is flat). The previous ride...several weeks ago...I had no problems. I have no idea how a brake can go from good to bad sitting there, but it did. I believe I have the bleed kit (like I said, I installed them and rode them for 4 years and never touched them). What else will I need? What might be the problem? I don't see any broken parts anywhere. Any help is appreciated.

Doug

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been using these brakes for a few years without too many problems,
however I did have a similar problem,the reservoir bladder developed a leak,early models (like yours if 4 years old) had a plastic bladder retaining ring around it,the newer ones have a metal ring this is a mod to prevent the leak developing,get yourself a pair (best do both while your at it)of new bladder kits,fit bleed and your sorted.
Pt No R/H (front brake) FD40051-50
Pt No L/H (rear brake) FD40050-20

G

·
Doug said:
I have some of the original B4 brakes that Thorsten was selling when he first started distributing Formula. I've learned he is no longer the distributor, so I've come here. I frankly don't know much about servicing these brakes because, well, they never needed it. Last week I went to ride and found my front brake had leaked (presumably...there was a little bit of oil inside where the rubber bag thing is in the lever) and had zero pressure in it. I did not see any visible leaking, but the oil level was low enough that I got no braking from them (thank goodness Texas is flat). The previous ride...several weeks ago...I had no problems. I have no idea how a brake can go from good to bad sitting there, but it did. I believe I have the bleed kit (like I said, I installed them and rode them for 4 years and never touched them). What else will I need? What might be the problem? I don't see any broken parts anywhere. Any help is appreciated.

Doug
Hey Doug -

The area that 856er suggested could certainly be the culprit.

Give us a call and we'll see if we can help you out! Our contact info is at our web site: http://www.formulabrakeusa.com

Best regards,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts