Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
I thought about sourcing these alone (or making them), because I have all of the other components to make up the bleed kit, including the syringes, barbed luer fittings DOT 5 fluid. However, when it came right down to it, I would spend a lot more than $29 worth of my time on the lathe drilling a hole through the screw lengthwise, turning the relief for the o-ring on the threaded end and cutting barbs on the other end. I searched for it, but I think it is a custom fitting made for Avid.

I spent the $29 and just bought the complete kit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
the threaded inner of a derailleur barrel adjuster works well(the threaded metal part with the hole through it).thread a nyloc(helps with sealing) nut onto the barrel leaving 10 mm of thread exposed slide o-ring on(the o-ring will get sandwiched between the nyloc nut and the caliper).the other end where the opening accepted the der. housing is where you will stretch the clear bleed line over.stretch the line open with some needle nose pliers,pushing the pliers inside the line and opening the pliers until it will fit over the large end.lubed it with some RTV silicone to get it on the barrel and help it seal.let the RTV set and your ready to bleed.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
So am I reading this right......if you already have an Avid bleed kit - you will be able to use it on Formula brakes?

I'm thinking of getting R1's, this would be a much easier decision if I already effectively had the bleed kit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The standard avid bleed fittings don't fit R1s. The knurled part of the brass fitting fouls the lever body, so won't screw in at all. I've tried using the avid kit on my R1s with no luck - the avid kit did work fine on my old Biancos though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.