Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been demoing a few MTBs and trying to decide between these 3:

1. Specialized SWorks Stumpjumper (S1 or S2 size)- I've ridden the S2 Stumpjumper Sworks and S1 Expert (to try the S1 size).
2. Specialized Sworks Evo S1
3. Pivot Switchblade XS

I'm 5ft3, 115 lbs. For #1 I'm at the high end of the S1 size and low end of S2. I've ridden both and both work with the S1 feeling more maneuverable, but the S2 more planted but slightly large; I have a short torso and long legs/arms.

#2- Evo- I haven't ridden it. Just threw a leg over a floor model. Slightly longer cockpit than the S1 Stump. SInce I'm a beginner I wouldn't be using all the adjustability right off the bat. The Specialized demo center still highly recommended this one.

#3- I'm in the middle of the size range for the XS switchblade which makes the XS a no brainer. Great climbing bike. Not as "plush" descending (at my current speed anyway) and heavier than both the Specialized models.

I live in Breckenridge Colorado so all alpine riding, long climbs followed by long descents- plus rolling trails. Rocks, roots, very small jumps (until I get better). I'm a climber so pretty much all my rides have some good ones thrown in. Rocky, steep, ascents. Confidence descending is a priority since I'm a newbie.

Any advice on if I should go w/the S1 or S2 of the regular Stumpy? S1 for the Evo is a no brainer.

Any advice overall on the best bike 1-3 to go with overall?

Thanks!

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
I would take the Switchblade 10 times out of 10 because I trust that company to stand behind the bike indefinitely. I have no such faith in Specialized.

Also, the added mass of the Pivot is likely not much greater, but if it makes it feel more planted on the descents that's a confidence bonus for you.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
I'm partial because I currently own the Evo but it's a bike that does many facets of mountain biking extremely well. Beyond fit I put those bikes in three quasi separate categories with overlap. To use a catch phrase of the day like "aggressive" I put the stumpy at least aggressive, the Evo at most aggressive, and the pivot in the middle. So from my perspective it's more about what type of riding you plan on doing to choose one of the three. Imo, the most confidence inspiring DH (and elsewhere) will be the EVO.
Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.