1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Im looking at a set of rock shox Pike 454 U-turn, or 409 U-turn

or the Manttou Nixon ellite.

The pike options seems to be popular on the forum and the Nixons also fit the bill

on a budget so may even go 2nd hand off flea bay so Fox isnt an option

any feedback on the above will be well received as its my first build and first full sus.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I can highly recommend the pike... the only difference between the pike models has to do with the floodgate adjustment and the weight of the crown... you don't really lose anything by moving to the "lower" models.... I run the air version, since it is a little lighter, but the coil models are awesome too...

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I'm not much of a fan of the Nixon Elite. It's not very stiff, and dosn't feel that great (not the best damper). It would help a lot to know what bike it's going on, so we can recommend forks that will fit well on the bike (proper a-c, etc.).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both comment extremly helpfull. thanks

Current spec in procress

Spesh Enduro
5th element shock
Raceface dues XC stem and low riser
derore shifters
juicy 5 F&R
Xt crankset
derore LX mech

Mainly ride North Wales (UK). i.e mountain plus lots of mud.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
There are lots of deals floating around on '06 forks. A Pike would be a good choice, though it's worth noting that if you don't already have a through axle front wheel, you'll need a new wheel to use a Pike. If you don't want/ can't afford to switch, a Revalation is pretty much a Pike sans through axle. The TA is definatly a worthy upgrade if you can swing it though. If you can find a deal on a Fox Vanilla, they're fantastic forks, and would be a good choice for your bike. A Rock Shox Domain would work well too, if you can find one for a good price and would like a little extra travel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not got a wheelset yet. the TA shouldnt be a problem and seems to be a bonus.

Are there any compatibility issues from buying these things from the US or Japan. the pound is very strong at the mo and there are some really good deals about.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
bainsey said:
I have not got a wheelset yet. the TA shouldnt be a problem and seems to be a bonus.

Are there any compatibility issues from buying these things from the US or Japan. the pound is very strong at the mo and there are some really good deals about.

thanks
No compatibility issues... same fork, designed in Colorado Springs, assembled in Taiwan, sold everywhere! ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just looked into the Revalation option. Seems like I should consider this fork as well thanks. It may be easier getting hold of a wheelset thats compatible.

Is it possible to adapt a standard wheelset to a 20mm axle hub?.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
bainsey said:
just looked into the Revalation option. Seems like I should consider this fork as well thanks. It may be easier getting hold of a wheelset thats compatible.

Is it possible to adapt a standard wheelset to a 20mm axle hub?.
Only some front hubs are convertibles between 20mm and QR, for example Hope Pro 2...

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
bainsey said:
Both comment extremly helpfull. thanks

Current spec in procress

Spesh Enduro
5th element shock
Raceface dues XC stem and low riser
derore shifters
juicy 5 F&R
Xt crankset
derore LX mech

Mainly ride North Wales (UK). i.e mountain plus lots of mud.
Which Enduro?
I'm asking because they came with 3 different forks:
Enduro FSR - 140mm forks
Enduro Expert/Pro - 150mm forks (Talas 36)
SX Trail 1 - 66 160mm?

So the rear shock length is a factor in your fork choice.
The base FSR would match the Pike or Nixon.
If it's the 150mm size, then maybe a Z1 Light or SL, which are cheaper than the 36, but there are the odd '05-'06 Talas 36s on eBay at decent prices now, since everybody is going for the '07 model.

HTB - "I'm not much of a fan of the Nixon Elite. It's not very stiff, and dosn't feel that great (not the best damper). " - have you actually ridden a TPC/TPC+ fork? The Nixon Elite may not be as stiff as a 36 or 66, but a 20mm version wouldn't be bad.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
fsrxc said:
HTB - "I'm not much of a fan of the Nixon Elite. It's not very stiff, and dosn't feel that great (not the best damper). " - have you actually ridden a TPC/TPC+ fork? The Nixon Elite may not be as stiff as a 36 or 66, but a 20mm version wouldn't be bad.
No. It was a FFD Nixon, the Elite, which is what the OP was talking about getting. I've owned both a FFD and a TPC Skareb, and the TPC is definatly much better. It was also the QR version. A 20mm would undoubtedly be stiffer. The TPC/ Intrinsic Nixon w/ a TA is probably a pretty good fork. FFD w/ a QR? Not so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.