Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a fork off of ebay and I have seen alot of items that mention whether or not they have been cut. What does the length have to do with the set up of the bike?

Are there any other things that I need to look out for?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
Robsix said:
I'm interested in buying a fork off of ebay and I have seen alot of items that mention whether or not they have been cut. What does the length have to do with the set up of the bike?

Are there any other things that I need to look out for?

Thanks,

Rob
They are talking about the length of the steertube. You need to take into account the length of the headtube on your frame plus the stack height of the headset plus a stem and any spacers. If the forks steer tube is shorter then your headtube then there is no way to mount it on the bike.

Another thing with e-bay forks is buyer beware. There is plenty of fake e-bay adds for bike parts, people looking to rip others off. If you really want to purchase a new fork online I would look at online stores for clearance forks. Jenson, Supergo etc.

If you really must use e-bay, ensure that the member has a high rating, and ask them many questions before purchasing. If they do not want to answer your questions I would not want to give them my money.

O

·
0 Posts
arf arf

He's right, tend to buy my thngs on Sale from ONLINE Stores, BUT If you want to buy it from ebay which I do, I tend to look at the picuture and aska lot of questions..

Just follow your guts ..if ts too good to be true, its too good ! LOL

Enjoy and just use common sense..

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just bought my used 04 Slider Plus off ebay. Love it!

- Yup, be sure it has enough steer tube. Steer tube a "tad" short is usually ok, but you usually want it a bit longer to be safe. You can always cut it if too long or use spacers. But you can't add back if too short.

- make sure there are no scratches on the stanchions.

- ask if it leaks oil. If it does, the fork might need new seals (extra $$)

- check what type of springs (if any) are installed. Too heavy/big a spring and the fork won't work well for you. But you can always change springs (extra $$).

- yes, get pictures. No pictures? Run!

- ask how the fork has been used (light trail, hucking 20ft cliffs, DHing, etc.)

- ask when was the last time it was serviced (if it's an older fork)

One sure thing with buying from an online store is you know the fork is new and perfect! But if you're careful and take the time to research it, you can find some smokin' deals on ebay for used forks.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I have occasionally looked on ebay for the likes of forks. In general if I buy anything from ebay I make sure it is unused, still in its original box or at least some of its packing and comes with some guarantee. Also it is assuring getting original paperwork too. Contacting the person via email or even talking over the phone is a bonus ( I did this with my last transaction).

I don't think buying cut steerer are a good idea - Just in case the length is not correct.

If the pictures seem sketchy ask for more, and when adverts show pictures directly from manufacturers ask for other pictures just to be sure, there are no discrepancies.

Most important is to ensure the person has a good rating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts