Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folkes,

I was wondering if any of you out riding Sultans had any advice on the length of fork to use???

I was looking to run 120's but I was wondering what you think...

Cheers

Barney
 

·
HMFIC
Joined
·
370 Posts
As 6th said, it really depends on the purpose of the bike and your preference for handling/feel. What kind of terrain do you ride? What type of steering/front feel do you like?

I wanted my Sultan to turn like my hardtail, so I ended up on a 100mm WB - long(ish) offset, short A/C. Others prefer the front a bit more chopper-ed out. I'll say that the difference in handling of my Sultan between a Reba at 100mm and my WB Magic 100 tells me that for my own tastes, the longer forks are not where I (personally) need to be.

YMMV, as with everything else.
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
I've got a 510mm AtoC fork, 44mm offset, w/ 100mm travel and find the handling pretty good - not skittish, not slow - just precise and neutral (then again I also use a flat bar and have a small seat to bar drop so I'm set up towards the XC side). I'm intrigued by the F120 which has a 520.8mm AtoC but 20mm more travel and am anxious to see what the AtoC of the 09 Reba 120mm U-turn is. I was a big TALAS fan and like the option to dial in travel to suit the terrain/handling characteristics of my 5x5 26" bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,060 Posts
I liked the WB 135, it gave the bike an all mountain flava. Plus the TA was stiff as heck. I did not find the fork length to be an issue when climbing-- but I'm 6'4".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
barney1942 said:
I was wondering if any of you out riding Sultans had any advice on the length of fork to use???

I was looking to run 120's but I was wondering what you think...
I think you should provide more info as to what you're planning to do with the bike. :)

FWIW, I have a 500mm A2C fork (Fox F29) on one Sultan and a 530 (White Brothers F135) on the other. The handling is very different between the two, but so is the intended purpose of each bike.

Suffice to say it's an extremely versatile frame, and will take on the attitude of whatever fork (and build kit) you choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi guys, I am mainly cross country/all day riding but then again like to have a quick blast round some of the trails in Wales (Afan etc)...

I am struggling to find a demo 29er full sus where I am (getting in touch with Roundel) but have been riding a 5spot demo at the weekend with a 150mm fork and that was great fun - but I'm not sure about that for an all day bike (it was a medium rather than a large so that wasn't great - looked like something out the 80's with a 2ft seatpost :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,230 Posts
The 100mm travel Manitou 47mm offset works fantastic with the Sultan.

Dare I say it, I like it better than any 100m travel 26er I've ever ridden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
barney1942 said:
Hi guys, I am mainly cross country/all day riding but then again like to have a quick blast round some of the trails in Wales (Afan etc)...

I am struggling to find a demo 29er full sus where I am (getting in touch with Roundel) but have been riding a 5spot demo at the weekend with a 150mm fork and that was great fun
I'm not too familiar with the trails in Wales, but IIRC they tend to be pretty rocky, no? If so, and based on your description of "all day" riding, the 120mm fork is probably the way to go. One with a ~530mm A2C (such as the Manitou) will certainly relax the handling of the bike, and interestingly enough a Spot with a 150mm fork would probably be a pretty good 26" equivalent for how the bike would ride. The Sultan might still be a bit quicker steering up front, with the resulting 70 degree head tube angle (assuming a fork of at least 45mm rake), but in situations where stability is called for it will have that too due to the big wheels.

On the other hand, the 120mm Fox (520mm A2C) would split the difference between the stock geometry and the ~1 degree slacker geometry with the longer fork. No thru axel though, so maybe not the best choice if you're on the bigger side, and/or will really take advantage of what a FS 29"er with ~5" travel up front can do. If you're a lighter rider and plan to build/ride the bike accordingly, it's certainly an intriguing option though.
 

·
Bodhisattva
Joined
·
10,866 Posts
tscheezy said:
Same here: WB F135 and would not want to go with a shorter fork.
+1

I've been running the F135 for a year although I will take a look at the Reba 120 when it's released. Not because of the height (I prefer the taller longer travel fork) but on account of Rock Shox's damping, tuneability & maxle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
I run with a 100mm Fox F29. My purpose for the bike is XC and XC racing on the chunky trails of the northeast (6thE and Zilla's backyard)

I think the pedaling efficiency would wane a bit with a 120mm fork...but that's just a guess. The 100mm fork still allows me to get out of the saddle and hammer a bit.

No complaints on the DH sections, and i'm coming from a Turner 6pack with 150mm Z1 up front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
My sentiments exactly...

The Squeaky Wheel said:
+1

I've been running the F135 for a year although I will take a look at the Reba 120 when it's released. Not because of the height (I prefer the taller longer travel fork) but on account of Rock Shox's damping, tuneability & maxle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,774 Posts
Anywhere from..

barney1942 said:
Hello folkes,

I was wondering if any of you out riding Sultans had any advice on the length of fork to use???

I was looking to run 120's but I was wondering what you think...

Cheers

Barney
Forks with Axle-Crown lengths ranging from 503mm to 530mm.
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
I run with a 100mm Fox F29. My purpose for the bike is XC and XC racing on the chunky trails of the northeast (6thE and Zilla's backyard)

I think the pedaling efficiency would wane a bit with a 120mm fork...but that's just a guess. The 100mm fork still allows me to get out of the saddle and hammer a bit.

No complaints on the DH sections, and i'm coming from a Turner 6pack with 150mm Z1 up front.
Yes...but, I think you could retain a sporty feel with the 120 by keeping bar height the same. That is my goal with the new Reba 120, I'll drop a spacer or two and keep bar height the same but have 20mm more "yee-haw" on the descents :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
Yes...but, I think you could retain a sporty feel with the 120 by keeping bar height the same. That is my goal with the new Reba 120, I'll drop a spacer or two and keep bar height the same but have 20mm more "yee-haw" on the descents :D
I'm already down to 2mm of spacer...plus i betcha the 120mm stroke compresses just a tad more under power.

it's perfect @ 100mm for me and what I do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
I don't own a Sultan but I have a White Brothers Fluid 110 fork, only 3.8 lbs actual weight for a non thru axle model and I love it. Thrui axle actual is about 4.0 lbs. It feels way heavy duty and way more fork than you would expect. Feeling about on par as a Fox Float 140 in 26er world or a Talas with the Talas not activated. I am way impressed with it and would personally run one over a Reba and possibly even a Fox (which I also have time on) probably any day of the week... Just my $.02.
 

·
Expert Crasher
Joined
·
6,359 Posts
soulfly_NYC said:
I'm already down to 2mm of spacer...plus i betcha the 120mm stroke compresses just a tad more under power.

it's perfect @ 100mm for me and what I do.
I hear ya - the adjustability on these new shocks makes them viable for many roles. I had a TALAS on my old 5x5 26" bike and dialing in travel was nice - I'm anxiously awaiting the new REBA U-turn :D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top