Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought a used monocog and the forks were faulty. I bought it from a dealer so the forks are under warranty. They ordered a set of black forks but they are aluminum. I have been told by many that if you go rigid to stick with steel. They can get the stock forks in a different color than the frame. Redline is out of the 06 matte green and they would be the 07 matte brown. The dealer said they maybe able to get an upgrade to the monocog flight forks wich would be nice since I am running a front disc and no braze ons for v brakes would look cleaner even though color is still different. My question after all this long windedness is do any of you know if the slightly different frame geometries of the two bikes would make the forks from the flight not work with the regular monocog frame?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcG
How will the 47mm fork rake on the Flight impact the bike's handling vs. the rake on the reglar Monocog 29er?

I always get confused with fork rake numbers.

MMcG,

Using a size 17" as a base, our standard Monocog 29" uses a slightly longer EFF top tube (603mm) with a 72d HTA and a 39mm fork rake (front center is at 642mm).

On new Flight series (17") we shortened the EFF top tube to 585mm, slackened the headtube to 71d the pushed out the fork rake to 47mm (front center is at 643mm).

The changes in geometry allow for the slightly shorter top tube on the Flight, keep the same front center (toe clearance), and maintain same fork trail dimensions. Using a Panaracer Rampage (Dia 742.9mm), fork trail on the standard Monocog is around 79.6mm and fork trail on the Flight is 78.2mm. Also, to keep the cockpit reach relatively the same, I added about 10mm of stem length (per size) on the Flight.

My opinion of the handling is this.. even though fork trail remains almost the same. The increased fork rake on the Flight, makes the tire feel like it's contacting the side knobs sooner with less bike lean. The bike seams to carve excellently on some the trails up here in the Pacific Northwest. I'll look forward to some reviews when they get in the hands of you all.....

Thanks,
Craig- Redline

·
Registered
54 Posts
I put this on my MC Flight and this bike is an incredible handler! I bought mine used too so I don't know what the original fork geometry was like, but this is niiice, I like.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I'm not to experienced with this stuff. I also don't know how the geo numbers are compaired to this years models. If they are similar, than you probably would end up with a bike that had about 10mm less trail, which would make it a quicker steering bike. If you use 26" forks for your 26" frame, and you don't think your bike is already "twitchy", then you probably would be fine. Does that make sence?

·
donkey
263 Posts
I put a 29er wheel on the front of my monocog, and the geometry was still fine. I think a few mms of fork rake are probably imperceptible. Don't worry too much about that, just get something you like, don't let the shop or redline screw you with something you don't want (ie a harsh alu fork or some mismatched setup). Those frames are dirt cheap from J&B, the cost to the shop is like 100 bucks. Have them warrenty the whole deal, frame and fork -- if you must.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still contused

I measured the length of the forks on the bike which are temporary cross bike Kona project one or something forks and they are about 15.5 or 16" from bottom of steer tube to axle. I measured my shocks on my shwinn moabb and they are about 18" and the shocks on my full susp dakar are about 19". I still don't know if I should go with the flight forks or stick with the standard monocog forks, that is if I can even get the flight forks. The redline specs don't show the length of forks. Anyone out there have different rigid forks on their monocog?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.