Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Giant NRS 2 which came equipped with a Skareb Elite. The Skareb wouldn't be a bad fork if I were 150 but I weigh about 225 on a good day. The fork bottoms out easily even at max PSI and its pretty spongy on the sprints/climbs. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good moderately priced fork that does well with heavier guys. I like the Marzocchi lineup - has any heavier guys tried any of these forks?

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
Marzocchi, Fox, rockshox duke or psylo, etc etc. There are plenty of good ones out there. I say fox's are the best, but I have never ridden a marzocchi. And, I am not over 200lbs. Dont worry though, therell be plenty of better answers after me. What you could do though, is go to your shop and ask the guys there. They should be able to hook you up with a good brand.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
tommydfatguy said:
I just purchased a Giant NRS 2 which came equipped with a Skareb Elite. The Skareb wouldn't be a bad fork if I were 150 but I weigh about 225 on a good day. The fork bottoms out easily even at max PSI and its pretty spongy on the sprints/climbs. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good moderately priced fork that does well with heavier guys. I like the Marzocchi lineup - has any heavier guys tried any of these forks?
Stiffer than stock coils for me. I always get the upgrade stiff spring. Seems to match my Clydesdaleself. Air forks need to much pressure to hold me up. Coils are more supple.

·
We get titles?
938 Posts
Easy to say until you ride something stiffer...

ButtGumbo said:
My Rock Shox SID XC suited me well when I was up at around 215+lbs. I've dropped a few libbys since then, but the shock is still doing well.

-BG
Have you ever ridden any stiffer forks? I used to say the same thing about my SID, until I put in some time on a Manitou Black and then a Marzocchi Super T. Of course we're talking about 3 different forks for 3 different applications, but my point is, until you ride something stiffer, you don't know what you're missing. Sure, a 200+ lb guy can ride a SID. But he would probably be happier on something else.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Most FS bikes are sprung for guys who weigh 160lbs

tommydfatguy said:
This adds additional cost ot the bike for big guys most will have to get the bike resprung for their weight. IMO the best fork suggestion i can give you is the Fox Float or Talas. These forks air sprung which means they will be more tunable not only to your weight but also to the rear suspension in order to find a nice balance between the two.

·
Registered
32 Posts
upNdown said:
Have you ever ridden any stiffer forks? I used to say the same thing about my SID, until I put in some time on a Manitou Black and then a Marzocchi Super T. Of course we're talking about 3 different forks for 3 different applications, but my point is, until you ride something stiffer, you don't know what you're missing. Sure, a 200+ lb guy can ride a SID. But he would probably be happier on something else.
I haven't on this bike, but have tried stiffer/coil shocks on other bikes. I ride a hardtail on pretty tame XC trails, so I haven't had the need for more in my application.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would run a marz. if I were you. They are extremely well built, tough as hell and you can get a heavier spring for it. ALso consider maybe a manitou black with a heavier spring. ALso, you can get a heavier spring for the skareb, then run it at a higher pressure and that should even out the bottom out problems and the spongy feel. This is the cheaper option. However, ipersonally don't think that FOX is worth the extra money. After using 2 different ones, I honestly think that zokes or manitou is just as smooth and responsive and reliable. Just my personal opinion that they aren't worth the money.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
from personal experience (and similar weight) I would say check out the Foxx line. If you want an air fork the floats are fantastic, and the talas is real nice. On the coil spring side (heavier but more compliant) the vanillas are fantastic. They come with all the springs you need including the heavy and they come with travel adjustment blocks for 125-100-80mm, although unlike the talas you must disassemble the fork.

On a heavier fork realm, the marzzocchi forks have a fantastic rep as strong stiff forks. I am using a z150sl air fork and am amazed at how stiff and how low the air pressures are (note: this is a 6" travel fork) The Z1 line is real good, especially the SL(AIR) versions. The marathons are real nice trailbike race forks, available in air or coil. The Marz' coils need to have the heavier springs ordered separately. Have your shop order the fork for you and swap out the springs, they should not charge you extra.

The Menitou options are limited to the blacks or the minutes. These are real nice trail bike forks. The sherman Firefly is a good trail bike/freeride fork. This would not be the proper fork for a NRS-2 though. The minutes are available with SPV allowing you to set a no-bob platform to match the NRS performance in the rear.

Personally I would avoid the rockshucks offerings though, until at least the next generation of the reba or pike. The rest of the forks are just to dubious of choices for heavier folks.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
My 2¢...

tommydfatguy said:
Stay away from Fox forks. I don't feel they're designed for larger riders and while many smaller riders rave about their suppleness and stiffness, larger riders (who tend to mash vs. spin) tend to blow through that suppleness and your shock becomes an expensive pogo stick.

That said, I'm a big fan of air forks vs. springs. I've found air forks more adjustable and you can stiffen higher end almost to the point of no bobbing without affecting travel and bigger hit compliance.

I ran a higher end Sid for several years and while extremely flexy through corners, held up well as an air shock.

I've run a Marzocchi Z1 in the past and likely it quite a bit, but it wasn't the right type of fork for me. It again was too bouncy. It performed exactly as it was supposed to on drops, though. I have no complaints.

I'm currently running a Marzocchi Marathon SL. I really like this air fork because I can dial in the shock stiff enough for me to stand up and mash, but it is also supple on drops. It's fairly stiff. Not nearly as stiff as the Z1, not as stiff as the Fox Talus but significantly stiffer than a Sid. I haven't ridden your fork, so I can't compare the Marathon's stiffnness to yours.

Keep in mind, the "best" of any bike component is subjective. What works best for me may not work best for you.

My stats:

Riding: 10 years
Weight: 215 pounds
Riding style: Pushing bigger gears vs. spinning
I enjoy the climbing only because climbing eventually leads to pointing the bike downhill.

I currently have two bikes:

Retrotec Singlespeed
Turner 5-Spot

I like them both, but I prefer the SS at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Ken

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
Assuming you are riding cross country and not doing drops, you should consider upgrading to the extra-firm spring for the Skareb before you spend money on a new fork. I am 225 pound clyde and run a Skareb Elite on my hardtail and love it. If you are looking at doing drops and more all mountain riding, you should be looking at a Black, Zochii, Float, or Duke. Mind you even the blacks and Zochiis will require you change to heavier spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.