Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
building up a gt zum frame for commuting and light touring. I'm wanting to run mustash bar which won't fit a traditional handlebar bag, so I'm wanting to find 26” fork with mounts for bags. Cheaper is better. Any ideas for this? oh, I'm running V-brakes.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Do you mean a lowrider rack bosses? Surly sells the LHT fork separately. Not a lot of places carry the 26 version, but Amazon offers it for about 100 USD.
Long Haul Trucker Fork | Parts | Surly Bikes

You can also get front platform racks that mount to canti studs and fender (brake) hole. Very pretty Nitto stuff for big $$$ or the Nashbar version that a lot of people claim is the best bargain since $2 per gallon gasoline. They`ll hold a bag up where you can reach it while riding.

And I`ve seen pics from a guy who mounted a Blackburn style rear rack to his fork. Cheap, clean, and looked like a very easy hack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surly forks

I was hoping for a cheaper alternative to the Surly forks. It looks like the LHT fork or the Troll fork would do the job but I wondered if there were any others. Like a Kona P2, but I don't think they come with bosses for a front rack.

I have seen that smaller front rack I think it was called a randonneur rack. That would probably work I didn't realize that it was attached at the brake bosses. I'll look into that too.
Thanks

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
^^ Cool, I didn`t know that Axiom offered front platforms. It looks like some of them even have back stop bars, which is handy for toting a big bag.

Hartmame, do you already have a rigid fork? If you can find somebody in your area who does brazing, adding a pair of bosses might turn out to be a reasonable option too. It`s a 20 minute job, including prep and shooting a little patch of Rustoleum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
old fork

I wish I did have an old fork but the only fork I have is an old Manitou Mars. For touring or trekking I'd rather have a rigid fork. I might build the bike up with the Mars fork so I can ride it while I'm hunting down the fork I want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.