Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for new fork, down to few between usual suspects: Fox, RS, DVO and MRP. It will be 29, boost, 140-150mm travel, 34-35mm
I want to do all service myself, I am good to buy tools needed, etc.

What is your opinion/rating for DYI service from "0 - everything has to be done by shop" to "10 - you can do everything yourself as long you get the right tools"
Also looking for which manufacturer has the most broad parts reach, specifically in Canada. RS probably leads here with Fox close second. I assume for any service kits for DVO and MRP I will have to go direct or to US/German/UK online shops and hope they ship to Canada

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’d rate them all about the same really. Except for motion control rs forks which are stupid easy. I used to stick to Rockshox stuff just for ease of service but now I’m pretty comfortable with everything. It’s a definitely a if you can do one, you can do the other scenario. Personally I think Fox is the best mix of performance, ease of service and availability of parts. Manitou, dvo and mrp all have great consumer level customer service however which counts for a lot of your a serious diy person

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I bought a few DVO forks in the last year and one reason was reported user serviceability.

I’m not a suspension expert, and haven’t serviced my forks yet, but I’ve heard DVO will be offering tools. At which point I will begin to educate myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
I bought a few DVO forks in the last year and one reason was reported user serviceability.

I'm not a suspension expert, and haven't serviced my forks yet, but I've heard DVO will be offering tools. At which point I will begin to educate myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a DVO Diamond when they were introduced. Not sure if the air cartridge has changed but disassembling was a PITA to remove the bottom cap - heat gun & modified 90* needle pliers.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all, looks like Fox has an edge over everyone else, especiall with tech drawings. And coincidentaly - some pretty good deals can be had right now for 34 factory

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I dont think you can service the fit dampers at home. The cheaper grip is easy, but I'm not sure about the newer, higher end stuff.

You're shorting yourself not looking at a mattoc. Its a better fork overall, and its incredibly easy to service at home AND tune at home. DVO too.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont think you can service the fit dampers at home. The cheaper grip is easy, but I'm not sure about the newer, higher end stuff.

You're shorting yourself not looking at a mattoc. Its a better fork overall, and its incredibly easy to service at home AND tune at home. DVO too.
Thank you. Which Mattoc would you recommend to look at? I need good clearance for 29x2.5 min, ideally 2.8 (actual or close to it, on 35 ID rim), AC 550+, 150mm travel, 51mm offset is ideal but I can live with 42-44, 34+ stanchions.
DVO looks very intriguing but few places to get it in Canada for a good price. For example brown DVO Diamond can be found for $699 USD in US but I get quotes for $1200 CAD+tax from local shops.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yes, you can. I have completely disassembled a FIT4 damper when the rebound adjustment needle failed. No special tools required, and you need the aforementioned engineering drawings to make sure you put it back correctly. You can ask your LBS to order parts for you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes, you can. I have completely disassembled a FIT4 damper when the rebound adjustment needle failed. No special tools required, and you need the aforementioned engineering drawings to make sure you put it back correctly. You can ask your LBS to order parts for you.
Yep, And I've just had the Grip 2 in bits this week. I think all suspension products are easy to service as long as you have the correct tools/equipment.
But...some of the pricing of the "Fox" tools is just madness!

·
Registered
9,488 Posts

I used Manitou products for years (still have Prime Pro brakes). Was interested in the Mattoc but read a few posts stating some forks had bushing problems. I reached out to Manitou customer service, for some clarification, and it was all crickets. I don't think their customer service is as stellar as it use to be. I will say Manitou's suspension is tinkerer friendly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
how do you access those drawings? are they available for DIYers?
They are on the Fox website. They have pretty much everything from 2014 forward I think. You can find either service procedure guides or exploded views. Also you can just search the 4 digit code on your fork or shock and that will link you to relevant documents

·
Registered
7 Posts
On Fox website there is info about kit parts, required tools, oils volumes and some service videos.

But unfortunately no technical drawings :(
Maybe they're available for authorized services only.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm looking for technical drawings of 2018 Rhythm Series 32 FLOAT 29 GRIP (DCJL) and GRIP damper. I'm mainly interested if there are o-rings sizes so I don't have to buy expensive OEM kit and can use regular o-rings available on the market.

I've used https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&ref=findbycode but there are no drawings as someone mentioned here.

I'm also an engineer and just like the beauty of technical drawings :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm looking for technical drawings of 2018 Rhythm Series 32 FLOAT 29 GRIP (DCJL) and GRIP damper. I'm mainly interested if there are o-rings sizes so I don't have to buy expensive OEM kit and can use regular o-rings available on the market.

I've used https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&ref=findbycode but there are no drawings as someone mentioned here.

I'm also an engineer and just like the beauty of technical drawings :)
Here ya go:
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=858

Grip damper sub assemblies are towards the bottom. Most of the o rings needed are in the top cap assembly

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 2015 F36 are easy to change the oil in. If you can bleed brakes you can bleed the damper.
If you find extra oil in the lowers then send it in for service. The seal head usually goes bad before anything else & mine is on its 4th year. I have used the FOX oil & Plush.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.