Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled my old mountain bike from storage. It's a ghost 29et from a few years back. Looks like the forks were on backwards for some reason? Anyway I reversed the handlebars and put on properly. But my question is I believe that bearing at the front is preloaded in there? Is there a specific torque spec on that or a good rule of thumb? Please excuse my lack of terminology for the part where the bearing is.
View attachment 1944668

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
. The part in question is the bearing for the head tube?
I just pulled my old mountain bike from storage. It's a ghost 29et from a few years back. Looks like the forks were on backwards for some reason? Anyway I reversed the handlebars and put on properly. But my question is I believe that bearing at the front is preloaded in there? Is there a specific torque spec on that or a good rule of thumb? Please excuse my lack of terminology for the part where the bearing is.
View attachment 1944668

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tighten the bolt in the centre of the top cap until the fork has no fore-aft play, no more. Then tighten the two stem bolts to 5-6 N.m.

·
On wuss patrol
5,237 Posts
So, you’re telling us that while in storage, the fork was somehow reversed, or that it was mounted reversed and you/someone rode it reversed before it went into storage? If the latter, it must have rode terribly.

No shame in telling, we all gotta learn things.

The bearing you asked about is the headset, and to preload it requires the stem bolts to be somewhat loose, tighten the hex bolt in the top center cap of the stem just enough to remove any play/lateral movement of the fork crown at the head tube (as someone mentioned). I like to lock up the front brake, grab the bottom of the head tube at the fork crown with thumb an forefinger, and gently rock the bike back and forth to feel for play. No play, align the fork and bar, tighten the two stem bolts (as mentioned earlier).

Glad to see you’re getting back into it, with a bike that’ll feel much better under you.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Early on in riding, I "set up" my wife's bike for her (Jaws music ensues) to make sure everything was perfect for her first ride in Moab. I had her on a (correction) 3x9 with twist grips. So, we're riding along and the conversation is going like this:

Wife: How do I get the rear to shift?
Me: Well you have to twist the right shift up and back (thinking, "Geez, we went through this".)
W: I am
Me: Sometimes you have to twist hard (thinking, "I'm sure she's messing this up".)
Finally, we stop, so I can look at what the problem is.
The problem was, Husband put the shifters on upside down and backwards!

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
Greetings,
Its been a long while, but I know that Manitou (and maybe Marzocchi) made reverse arch forks a while back. I am not familar with GHOST and can't really see what you have by the photo, but it might be possible that the bike came in this config if you had a fork made by one of the above.

Possible: Of course it also wouldn't be the first time a bike was built incorrectly by an inexperienced mehanic either.

Someone else who is more familiar with the GHOST brand may know. If it didn't look right to you, it's possible it wasn't correct.

**EDIT.. I just blew up your photo. That fork was mounted backwards for sure <<

For reference and grins:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, you're telling us that while in storage, the fork was somehow reversed, or that it was mounted reversed and you/someone rode it reversed before it went into storage? If the latter, it must have rode terribly.

No shame in telling, we all gotta learn things.

The bearing you asked about is the headset, and to preload it requires the stem bolts to be somewhat loose, tighten the hex bolt in the top center cap of the stem just enough to remove any play/lateral movement of the fork crown at the head tube (as someone mentioned). I like to lock up the front brake, grab the bottom of the head tube at the fork crown with thumb an forefinger, and gently rock the bike back and forth to feel for play. No play, align the fork and bar, tighten the two stem bolts (as mentioned earlier).

Glad to see you're getting back into it, with a bike that'll feel much better under you.

My guess is the bike was partially disassembled at some point when in storage at another place, not sure when, I didn't do it. Everything was together and and took it for a couple small spins with the kids. And then a bigger ride and noticed my foot hitting the tire on sharp turn. Looked back and it just didn't look right. I'll set it up the way you suggested. Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.