Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Illegal Allien
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, All

For whatever reason my old trusted Manitou Mars Super is starting to show signs of -something's-about-to-go-wrong. Or maybe things are wrong already.

Let me give you the symptoms and perhaps you can come up with a diagnosis.

It's not leaking oil or air and it compresses and rebounds with the same precission as the day I got it. Press on the fork and let go and it bounces back quick as a snapshot. It makes a funny noise while bouncing back, sort of like compress air scaping through a valve or something, but a quick check to the air preassure will indicate it is at 175-180 PSI which is EXACTLY how I keep it.

What worries me the most is that as soon as I sit on the bike my weight compresses it more than the 15% sag you are suppossed to have. If I stand on the cranks ( sort of like to sprint or whatever ) or let my weight on the bar it'll almost bottom out and show barely any resistance while doing this.

Is this something I can fix or is my trusted old buddy on it's way to become a decorative feature in my bathroom with a roll of Toillet Paper inserted on the Steerer Tube?

Sayi it ain't so.

·
Haro Sonix LT VL120
813 Posts
Waht exactly seems wrong? Is it a new noise and does it rebound too quickly? If it has the proper air pressure in the chamber it must be a problem with the damping.

David

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've always liked the mars forks which has proven to be a durable fork,i beleive a spin off the SX forks.
Yours may be old enough to justify a new fork or atleast a rebuild cause it sounds like some Oring and or seals that are no longer seated allowing the loss of damping.
You may also check your oil level which is usually 4-5" below the top of the stanchion but cheak your owners manual for proper level.
I personally like to upgrade forks about every 3 yrs.
I started with sx ti....mars....blacks.....now with R7 platinum and they always seem to get better.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Bird said:
I've always liked the mars forks which has proven to be a durable fork,i beleive a spin off the SX forks.
Yours may be old enough to justify a new fork or atleast a rebuild cause it sounds like some Oring and or seals that are no longer seated allowing the loss of damping.
You may also check your oil level which is usually 4-5" below the top of the stanchion but cheak your owners manual for proper level.
I personally like to upgrade forks about every 3 yrs.
I started with sx ti....mars....blacks.....now with R7 platinum and they always seem to get better.
That's funny, I just posted in another thread how my Manitou Mars 1 is the best fork I've ever owned although my Rock Shox Pike is closing in fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.