Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am about to grab a new fork. I have a dumb question that I cannot find a great answer to, so I need to ask you genius folks.

I don't need lockout, but the compression dampening would be nice...but how much does it actually matter? Is it worth the price difference, or will I be happy with the feel of the R? I do mostly AM style riding, with 4 ft drops to flat maximum. I like my small bump compliance as squish as it gets.

Thanks all!

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
If it was an air fork the minimal compression of an R model is a bob and brake dive monster. With coil there is much less bob or brake dive with minimal compression damping.

I don't know if there is an internal compression damper in the Vanilla R which is just not adjustable (does the rebound piston damp compression also?) If there is any compression damping with a R model you could adjust both compression and rebound by mixing heavier or lighter oil weight and firmer or softer spring combinations, but that's pretty tedious and only good for a small range of trail conditions.

Having separate and external compression damping adjustment allows on-the-fly or trail-side fine tuning for changing trail conditions, such as adding more compression for a long downhill runs or for smooth trail or standing pavement commutes.

It’s worth the difference for the RLC if you ride a variety of trail conditions.

The Fox forks are very light, but also the very flexy compared to other major brand 140 forks no matter if the weight is near the same. If you can wait or find a 2009 with 15mm axle it will stiffen the flex down to other brand's standard quick-release flex amount, maybe better.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I already have a 20mm wheel, so I would love to keep it. What fork with 140mm of travel and a similar price range (and coil), would better suite me? I hear great things about the pikes, however I cannot figure out the damn numbers, and they are a bit more pricey. Anyone care to help?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I run the 32 Van RLC on my most frequently ridden bike and I only run the compression a few clicks in. I'm not into adjusting the fork all the time. I set it where I liked it the most during the first few rides and haven't touched it, or the rebound, since. I really bought it for the lockout because a lot of my longer rides involve long fire road climbs with singletrack descents. I have heard that its flexy, but its doesn't bother me even at 180 lbs before gear. But I don't do big drops on it and try to choose smooth lines. I've got a big bike for big stuff. I do small/medium drops in it with no issues. 3 feet to flat did bottom it pretty hard (i like to run a soft spring) and occasionally I notice the flex under really heavy braking but other than that I really like this fork. Coil just feels so nice.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
y0bailey said:
I already have a 20mm wheel, so I would love to keep it. What fork with 140mm of travel and a similar price range (and coil), would better suite me? I hear great things about the pikes, however I cannot figure out the damn numbers, and they are a bit more pricey. Anyone care to help?
If I were in your position, and I wish I was, I would get a 2008 Manitou Minute ELITE. 140 mm of travel with a 20 mm hub. TPC dampening is the best in the business and can be modified easily to make a great ride, even better.

It is not a coil fork but rather a coil/air fork. Ride more like a coil fork than an air fork. I currently have a 2007 TALAS RLC and I would agree with derby, the adjustable compression is essential to keep wallowing and brake dive at bay.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vespasianus said:
If I were in your position, and I wish I was, I would get a 2008 Manitou Minute ELITE. 140 mm of travel with a 20 mm hub. TPC dampening is the best in the business and can be modified easily to make a great ride, even better.

It is not a coil fork but rather a coil/air fork. Ride more like a coil fork than an air fork. I currently have a 2007 TALAS RLC and I would agree with derby, the adjustable compression is essential to keep wallowing and brake dive at bay.
I will never buy Manitou again unfortunately.....blew threw 2 of them in 1 year (one was a minute).

Keep the suggestions coming...right now pike is in the lead.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
y0bailey said:
I will never buy Manitou again unfortunately.....blew threw 2 of them in 1 year (one was a minute).

Keep the suggestions coming...right now pike is in the lead.
Manitou has changed, but I hear ya, Pike it is!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.