Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years on the road, I got my 1st MTB this year to try out the sport (I'm hooked!). Bike's an entry-level HT (2003 Haro V3) I got on a great close-out deal. I like the bike's frame (fits well, solid, &HT design). I'm upgrading a few components (Easton EA70 stem, IRC Mythos XC tires, getting Avid SD-7 brakes). As I'm getting better on the trails, the stock Judy TT fork seems limiting (a bit rough, less than solid on turns, a little jittery going over roots & small rocks at speed). I'm 6' 175# & do about 40% roads, 60% intermediate Midwestern trails (no monster air). No racing- just decent work-outs & MTB fun. I want to upgrade from that Judy without putting a stupid amount of $$ into the bike. Any recommendations for a new fork that won't break the bank?

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Just a few thoughts:

1) Skip the avids. They are great brakes but 90% of the gain to be had can be had by just getting better brake pads with your current V brakes.

2) Don't waste money on the easton stem, get a Sette from Price Point, cheaper, lighter and just as strong.

3) Find a closeout Manitou Black fork for less than $200. Strong, reasonable weight and good dampining. You may also want to consider a Marzochii MX Comp. Heavier, but strong and reliable.

·
OldTeen
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CDMC said:
Just a few thoughts:

1) Skip the avids. They are great brakes but 90% of the gain to be had can be had by just getting better brake pads with your current V brakes.

2) Don't waste money on the easton stem, get a Sette from Price Point, cheaper, lighter and just as strong.

3) Find a closeout Manitou Black fork for less than $200. Strong, reasonable weight and good dampining. You may also want to consider a Marzochii MX Comp. Heavier, but strong and reliable.
Thanks for your advice! I already got the EA70 stem on closeout from Performance, and I find it a more stable and quicker-steering stem than the stock (which was too upright for trail use). I already have some KoolStop pads, but the stock ProMax V's seem to flex on hard braking. I've seen the SD-7's for around $50/set, and that may be worth a go at that price. Seems reasonable to me to invest up to $200-250 on a fork if I can get a noticable improvement over the TT. At least I'll have gotten almost a full hard season of use from it. It seems that there are other more expensive Judy forks ( XC, SL) from RS. Are they worth considering for the xtra features ( 100 vs 80m travel)? I'm trying to get a range of options, since I would rather get a new close-out than buy used suspension parts. Doing the research now may help me jump at a good deal for my needs:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should really consider the Marzocchi mx comp eta. The best fork ever, 105mm travel and with eta you get around 30mm which is great for climbing. Beautiful fork. No rockshox fork can even come close to performance and reliability of marzocchi forks.
This fork is also an award winner :cool:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
skip the judy's and go for a manitou black or marzocchi mx comp/pro on closeout.. much better forks... my vote goes w/ a marzocchi for longevity. But, just about any fork from major manufacturer with decent damping will be better than the TT.
Post questions about which closeout fork you're considering, when you get there.
S
[
QUOTE=OldTeen]Thanks for your advice! I already got the EA70 stem on closeout from Performance, and I find it a more stable and quicker-steering stem than the stock (which was too upright for trail use). I already have some KoolStop pads, but the stock ProMax V's seem to flex on hard braking. I've seen the SD-7's for around $50/set, and that may be worth a go at that price. Seems reasonable to me to invest up to $200-250 on a fork if I can get a noticable improvement over the TT. At least I'll have gotten almost a full hard season of use from it. It seems that there are other more expensive Judy forks ( XC, SL) from RS. Are they worth considering for the xtra features ( 100 vs 80m travel)? I'm trying to get a range of options, since I would rather get a new close-out than buy used suspension parts. Doing the research now may help me jump at a good deal for my needs:)[/QUOTE]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.