Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m not able to find any full suspension bikes to upgrade to so I’m looking to upgrade the fork on my 2018 salsa timberjack 27.5+. Currently it is 120mm travel and 51mm rake. HTA is 68*. I’m looking at a marzochi bomber z2 with 130mm travel and either 44 or 51 rake. Does it matter which offset I choose and how would that change the feel or handling of the bike? Will it make it slightly more slack? Any other recommendations to look at? Thanks

·
Registered
15,301 Posts
Whats the difference between 44 and 51 offset?

Image result for 44 vs 51 offset

Here's the skinny: 44mm offset reduces "trail" and adds turning agility, while 51mm offset adds "trail" and adds straight-line stability, especially at high speeds

·
Registered
10 Posts
44mm offset will have more, or "increase", trail.
Whereas the 51mm offset fork will have less, or "decrease", trail. The effect trail has on handling characteristics are as eb1888 says.

Whether the average rider is sensitive enough to notice the difference, or serious enough to care, is another question.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The short offset also shortens the wheelbase. Ie the front wheel of the bike moves towards the rider.
so use it to make a slack bike feel shorter. Improving fr rr weight balance

i would stay w 51mm on a steep hta bike. Yes the handling w be less stable but the wheelbase will move forward. Less otb feeling. Then lengthen the fork slightly to slacken and gain that trail for stability. Also again moving the wheelbase out to improve on that otb feeling.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't believe that buying a new fork will change the essential nature of your bike, i.e. it will still be a hardtail. I recommend saving your money for the day when you will be able to find a good FS bike in your price range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.