Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a 2012 Spec Rockhopper w/Suntour fork. If i was to replace that what are the specs i should be looking for 80mm, 1.125",15mm?

Below are the specs of my current fork and front hub

SR Suntour XCR 29" (SF11-XCR-DS-26-LO-SP), magnesium lower, 30mm steel stanchions, 1-1/8" alloy steerer, hyd. damping w/ Specialized Spike Valve and alloy LO cartridge, 80mm travel

Formula disc hub, high-low flange, double-sealed loose ball, machined disc mount, QR, 32h

Also I noticed 100mm is popular will that work or will it throw off the bike geometry too much?

Thanks for any help or link to a decnet fork you can provide

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hey man.
I spoke to specialized about upgrading the fork on my rockhopper recently. The say that if you upgrade, the travel shouldn't be extended by more than 10% of the original fork as it voids the frame warranty due to extra stresses on the frame.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
hello hilltopper; it seems I am in the same boat. i have a Giant talon 27.5" though.
existing front shocks are SR Suntour, getting ready to upgrade in about a month.
I was told from other riders that you should stay within your specs. The forks I have been looking at thus far is RockShox brand; SID XX and the Reba.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I second a Manitou Tower. The Pro comes in white. Its a very user friendly fork once you get to understand shim stacks. Check this thread out for more info on the Tower Pro.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/manitou-tower-pro-fork-clydesdales-techical-751708.html

Its a long read, but it has great detail on how to tune this fork and make it rock. On a plus note, I needed a part that should have cost like 30 bucks but Manitou sent it free of charge, no shipping even.

Or are you actually talking about rear shocks, LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.