Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '11 Giant Yukon FX and the front forks are fine for trail riding, but I have more fun going fast on the downhills. This weekend I took it out to a couple of trails and the forks kept bottoming out on fast downhills(I weigh about 160lb; stock forks are SR Suntour XCM V3). I had already been looking into upgrading the forks to something like an X-Fusion Velvet, but would switching to forks with longer travel be better?

I admit I'm a newbie but is it even wise to go with suspension components that are longer stroke than what it came with?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Changing to longer travel fork means you actually go for a longer axle to crown distance on the fork.

As a rule of thumb, for every 20mm of axle to crown (A2C), you get 1 degree of change on the steer tube angle.

So, going to longer travel fork will make the downhill handling better but it may make the bike a little wheelie happy on the climbs.

The maximum travel for your bike should be given by your manufacturer. But I think going to a max of 130mm travel would be OK on your bike.

I don't know if there are any stiffer springs for your fork, but those will make the fork to also rebound harder.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
In short, no

Warp, would possibly increasing the rear travel too help reduce wheelies on climbs?
The bike is made for a specific size rear shock, with a specific stroke. Your best bet is to put a stiffer fork up front, and possibly upgrade the rear shock. Take this route and maximize the quality of the suspension components, and if that doesn't work, you'll need to do some soul searching about buying a bike with longer travel for yoru downhill runs.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
The bike is made for a specific size rear shock, with a specific stroke. Your best bet is to put a stiffer fork up front, and possibly upgrade the rear shock. Take this route and maximize the quality of the suspension components, and if that doesn't work, you'll need to do some soul searching about buying a bike with longer travel for yoru downhill runs.
Word.

·
empty beer member
292 Posts
Don't forget that an air for is going to ramp up and not blow through its travel like a coil fork. So you mey not need more travel if you go with air or air assist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.