Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a year 2000 Trek 6500. I bought it new, and was never in good enough shape to use it, so it has less than 200 miles on it. It's practically mint. Anyway, I'm in better shape and some friends have gotten me into some beginner/intermediate XC riding - and I really enjoy it.

The bike came with a RockShox Judy XC fork, but it doesn't feel very good today. It squeaks and doesn't have much travel. I think the oil is shot after sitting for so long. Reading the Judy manual, it sounds like I can replace the oil and even lengthen the travel of the shock. But reading these forums makes it sound like shocks are about 100 times better than they used to be.

I don't want to buy a new bike right now... Should I try and fix the Judy, or buy another fork? I read a bunch of reviews, and it sounds like the Tora might be a good choice for the bike. How do I know if my bike uses the 1 1/8" steerer tube?

Thanks for any advice!

-james

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
welcome to the forums!
you can do a lot better than that old judy these days for sure... hippietech suspension could rebuild it, if need be, but it's probably not worth the cost.

I'd first try a basic service of it. A competent LBS (local bike shop) should be able to crack her open and do a basic service if you're not into DIY.

Seeing as it's got low mileage, it probably just needs a bit of lube on the stanchions (ie something with teflon in it, like "superlube"). Spray lube on stanchions (not on your rims or brake pads:p), cycle the fork up n down a few times, wipe off the excess and give her a ride. An oil change wouldn't hurt either. Here's a decent pictorial at the enduro fork seal site.

If the elastomers are shot (might be after all this time), I'd start saving pennies for that tora ;)

Oh yeah, you should have a 1 1/8" diameter steerer tube. To check, unscrew the topcap on the fork and measure the outer diameter. If you end up in the market for a new fork, look for a 'low' travel fork, similar to what your judy is. 80mm, no more than 100mm (more than that will likely jack the handling).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks logbiter. I have the manual for the Judy XC, it says it's a coil system - so that means no elastomers right?

The manual has the procedure for changing the oil, it looks like a pain in the ass. But I think it would be a good learning experience for me, so I ordered some shock oil and honey lube. If the thing looks trashed inside or I screw it up, I'll buy a Tora. :)

-james

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
oh yeah, forgot about 'hydra-coil':rolleyes:. So, you're cool. :thumbsup:

servicing is pretty easy, really. I forgot that rockshox produced some decent service info in their manuals ie 2001 judy
2000 fork line

Run her into the ground, meanwhile saving pennies for something better:D
The main issue with those, IIRC was that the bushings wore out pretty quickly.
yimmy149 said:
Thanks logbiter. I have the manual for the Judy XC, it says it's a coil system - so that means no elastomers right?

The manual has the procedure for changing the oil, it looks like a pain in the ass. But I think it would be a good learning experience for me, so I ordered some shock oil and honey lube. If the thing looks trashed inside or I screw it up, I'll buy a Tora. :)

-james

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I took apart the Judy. I think the bushings are gone, foam wipers are trashed, and the thing is built like a toy. Plus I'm sure I scratched up some things that I shouldn't have taking it apart. :D

Still liking the idea of a Tora (hopefully not a leaky one). I did some measurements on my existing setup:

Axel to Crown: 432mm (at the factory 63mm travel setting)
Steerer: 172mm

Looks like the Tora A2C is 459mm @ 80mm travel. So I would be adding 20ish mm depending on sag. I think I can live with that?

Would the steerer length give me any trouble? I think I will problem buy an uncut OEM pull from eBay.

-james

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nevermind on this, I ran the numbers fork+disc+wheelset and decided to buy a new bike. I'm going to put a rigid fork on the Trek and turn it into a road bike.

(Any rigid fork tips appreciated! ;))

-james

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.