Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a hardtail that i have been using for street/urban/dj/freeride.

i need a new fork. i have been looking very closely at the rock shox pike. it looks awsome, but im not sure if i should just go to 150 mm... i also want to beable to bring the travel down, but i think the pike would be perfect. just want to know wat u think..

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
sreiman said:
i have a hardtail that i have been using for street/urban/dj/freeride.

i need a new fork. i have been looking very closely at the rock shox pike. it looks awsome, but im not sure if i should just go to 150 mm... i also want to beable to bring the travel down, but i think the pike would be perfect. just want to know wat u think..
What frame? For urban and dj, you might not want that much travel. A Pike would be good to adjust, so you can do dj at the minimum, and then freeride at 140 mm. Really depends on the frame though.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Urban bikes do better with a nice short travel fork, easier to flick and maneuver. Head angle is tighter, so it's going to turn faster. I suggest the Sherman Jumper, 80 mm with a 20 mm thru-axle (supar stiff). Or get a o3 or o4 Sherman Firefly or Flick. You can wind the travel down, and you get the TPC dampening, none of that SPV crap. :D If you don't mind a bit of weight, you can get the Marzocchi DJ Street or whatever. With the Pike, you can wind the travel way down too. As far as longetivity goes, I don't know about the Pike, but Manitou and Marzocchi forks hold up extremely well. A while back, the DJs had a problem with cracked dropouts, they resolved that issue though.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont want manitou sherman jumper. i want to have the option of at least 130. i have been ridding a 80 mm RS duke and hate it. hhahahahaha. i want bigger

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Actually there's a whole thread bashing the Pike. But anywho... The travel quality between the Sherman and the Duke is going to be completely different. But whatever. Go the route of the Firefly then. Get the o4 version. It has the Rapid Travel Adjust II which lets you drop the travel 40mm and it still uses the TPC dampening. I believe it's on sale somewhere for like 370.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.