Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help sorting out what headset components and tools I will need to swap forks between bikes.

Currently there is a stock SR Suntour HLO 27.5 fork on my spouse’s Liv Tempt 3. The fork has a 1-1/8 steerer throughout, the headtube is 44 mm top and bottom, and the steerer is 170 mm in length. I’d like to replace the fork with a brand new uncut SID World Cup 27.5 with a tapered steerer.

I am then planning on taking the SR Suntour HLO fork with 1-1/8 steerer and installing it on a Brand-X HT-01 (frame only at this point). The HT-01 has a tapered headtube of 44/56 and a 110 mm long head tube (same as the Tempt 3).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

So it looks like for the Tempt then I’ll be able to keep the existing upper part of the headset. The lower part of the headset will need to be replaced with an EC 44-40. I am assuming that the actual removal/installation of the bottom cup will probably be best done by my lbs. I thought initially the WC fork might have some sort of integrated crown race but it appears that it is an alloy adapter for the crown race to sit on top of instead. If this is the case, then the WC fork will need a crown race (does this come with the lower cup?). And since the fork steerer is carbon I’ve just read that a star nut shouldn’t be used but a bung should be installed. Are there any issues with bung installation or cutting a carbon steerer that would make these two tasks best sorted by the lbs as well?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Removing and installing the headset can be done with a hammer and some 2x4s, and something to knock the edges of the co from the inside of the head tube, I've used a metal stake from a large tent. Or you can make a press with some washers, nuts, and a threaded rod. But if you don't want to potentially damage your frames the lbs is a good bet to get it done.

I've not bought a bottom cup separately, but I would imagine if it says bottom cup assembly it comes with the cup, bearing, and race.

For the carbon steerer, I've not had one, but if you don't have carbon cutting equipment having the lbs so it seems like a good plan.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.