Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im really torn. i have just spent about 600 dollars on my first cano and 1 month later i am thinking of spending 500 on a new fork....

i have done a lot of research and just cant make uup my mind.....

is is really smart to put that expensive of a fork on such a bike..? i was even considering puttint a 20mm axel fork and upgrade the front axel....etc money trap money trap....

i need someone to set me straight...what fork is better than the dart2 that comes with the bike? that isn't gonna run me 500 bucks (rev air u-turn).....

also who knows what kind of travel i can get out of the F5.? i know its 80 but do you think i could but a fork that travels 100 and still be ok......thanks everyone....

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
100mm is fine.

The best forks for that bike? A 100mm Lefty and a Fatty Headshock 80mm.

You can get a Fatty for less than 500, and have no other costs, other than installation.

Edit: you will also need a front brake adaptor also, the front caliper is a post type, and most new forks you will be looking at will use the IS mount. Not a big deal. Maybe $10

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
I would say that any 500 dollar fork would be better than the Dart, I would say you could go 100mm and it will work fine, but if you want to put a through axle on the bike then you have the wrong frame! The fatty as previously mentioned will be a lot stiffer than any thru axle fork.
Other options could include the Rockshox Reba, Manitou R7 or Marzocchi MX. Cannondales come with good frames so they are usually worth upgrading.

Kevin

·
Registered
105 Posts
damion said:
The best forks for that bike? A 100mm Lefty and a Fatty Headshock 80mm.

You can get a Fatty for less than 500, and have no other costs, other than installation.

Edit: you will also need a front brake adaptor also, the front caliper is a post type, and most new forks you will be looking at will use the IS mount. Not a big deal. Maybe $10
For what it's worth, I Just had this conversation with my Local (Cannondale) Bike Shop. I was asking about Lefty upgrades for my F600 which has the Super Fatty Ultra DLR.... the Lefty is about a $900.00 endeavor! Anyway my point, He went on to say the Super Fatty Ultra DL (the basic one) was $550.00 from cannondale and that does not include installation. check with your local dealer but those were the numbers given to me.... I'm staying put with my Fatty....which I do like alot!

I think the Furio-X is a pretty Decent frame to build up. If you love the Frame and it fits you well than go for it... I bet you can find some good deals online for a new fork.... I would shoot for 100mm travel & sub 4lbs.... If you have any hesitation on Frame Fit. It may be worth while to sell and buy another bike with components you like.... I found out that with the Lefty, It is certainly more cost effective to buy the bike with the Fork you like from the factory.
my 2 cents.
greenhill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.